Mad Men of Mt Mambup - a second outing

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
This was the second time I'd had the pleasure of hanging out with the self-professed Mad Men of Mt Mambup on location. :eek:kkiale:
Yes, they invited me back! Well, actually Uneekwahn put out the call to all WA BCOZers. Somehow he managed to find half a day spare between collecting EDC gear and making babies. (I think he's going to call the latter Secondwahn?)

We met at the carpark, ready to roll at 8am. Not bad for a chilly Sunday morning - well, as chilly as it gets in Perth that is. Already it was starting to get busy. It's a popular spot for families, dogs, families with dogs, children, families with children, families with ... well, you get the picture. There was the odd paddler around too. Now we've actually had some rain, this most upper reach of the Swan River had some water in it, delighting the water-borne with the famous Bells Rapids.

As for BCOZers, it was Uneekwahn, Thrud, Doc and spearfishing friend, and your novice trip reporter.

Crossing the bridge, we took the less beaten path far from the madding crowd and worked our way to the top. First along the firebreak, then zig-zagging cross country to one of the many rocky outcrops along the ridge. This proved such an effort, a unanimous decision was made to immediately brew up for morning tea. And what do you get with four bushcrafters making tea? Four different stoves, of course!

Uneekwahn had the prettiest (photo)
Resized 1.jpg
So breezy, Thrud's needed a foil cardie
4.jpg
I went the full rock wall and cardie for my Pocket Stove
Pocket stove.jpg
Doc had the right idea and wasn't there to muck about
Pete stove.jpg
Time for a group photo by Doc.
L to R - Doc's friend who'd joined us for the day, Uneekwahn, Thrud, and myself.
Group.jpg
(no, I don't know exactly what that dog was doing or why Thrud is smiling quite like that)

Having refuelled, it was time for a wander. Did I mention it's a popular place for dogs?
Looking NE across the valley where the Avon becomes the Swan, and Wooroloo Brook joins it from the east.
Thrud and Uneekwahn.jpgResized 2.jpg
Tree.jpgEdge.jpg
Without much sun, the flowers weren't willing to show. The first one here is probably a weed. The "mountain" is a former farm and a long way from its native state. The Red Ink Sundew (Drosera erythrorhiza) was also closed for the morning.
Weeds.jpgSundew.jpg
The zamia had been chewed down, probably by the resident goats
Zamia.jpg
Eventually, the sun did come out, enhancing the views to the NW across the coastal plain
Between balgas.jpgGroup 2.jpgSundowner rock.jpgView across coastal plain.jpg
Then it was time to head back down the hill to the river.
Swan River.jpg
The path now forms part of the Pilgrim Trail from Subiaco to New Norcia, following the footsteps of Bishop Salvado.
Pilgrim marker.jpg
I found it rather odd to mark it so close to the water. Sure, the climate's drying, but it wouldn't take too much to obliterate the trail with a decent winter. It's very close to the lowest of the gauges.
Depth gauges.jpg
Still, we hadn't done anything out of our own depth [groan], and just enjoyed a pleasant walk, much telling of stories, and a little show and tell [without photos! How did that happen?]

So we followed the river back to civilisation with all the families and kids and ... (let's not go there again).
Off to one of the local breweries for a spot of lunch and a cleansing ale. What happened there? Ah, you shoulda come with us to find out. :;):

Photo credits: Uneekwahn (the pretty ones with the borders), Thrud, Doc and yours truly.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It was a morning of excellent company and even better scenery!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Well done gents and gentette. Looked like a great day out.
Weather gods were kind and looks like you shared a good time.
Cheers
Bloffy

sami12

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
sweet write up and great spot. shame i missed it but i was nursing a hangover.. or i ate something bad.. :D yeh thats it.
good pics also guys, looking forward to the next meet so i can finally get out and amongst it!

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Great report Redtail! I really enjoyed the company, banter and pub lunch afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Looks like a great time - thanks for sharing!

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Looks like a great trot & good company to boot.