Mammal Macropus dorsalis (Black-striped Wallaby)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Macropus dorsalis

Common Name: Black-striped Wallaby

Sub-class: Macropodidae

Family: Macropod

Other Names: NA

Distribution: From Townsville in Queensland to Narrabri in New South Wales. In New South Wales it is only found west of the Great Dividing Range. It is decreasing in these areas, but is not classified as threatened as a species yet. In New South Wales population, however, is classified as endangered.

Habitat: Dense scrub which can be formed from a variety of trees and understorey plants (rainforest to Brigalow scrub) given its geographic distribution from the coast well into the hinterland.

Field Notes: Has a distinctive colouration with a number of outstanding facets in the fur. The first of these is the narrow black line that runs from the back of the head to the middle of the back which gives it its common name - 'black-striped'. It also has a white cheek stripe and a distinct white hip stripe that runs back from the knee. The fur varies in colour from grey on the back to red on the forequarters with the undersides white to grey-white. Males reach 20 kg and are much larger than females which reach 7.5 kg.

Photo Auscraft 2011 MY yard

View attachment 2337View attachment 2338

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks did get pics of all three in Family + 1 in pouch but as you can see long grasses didn't prove great for visability

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Shot this one about 30 times this morning (with camera). I was lucky enough to be upwind, holding a
camera in front of my face, dressed in grey clothes and standing very still.
She was very wary and came towards me very slowly on an old track, getting to about 15m before
she suddenly decided to scram.
Note white stripe on the hip and bulging pouch.
DSCF8996 (640x451).jpg
DSCF9009 (640x495).jpg

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
VERY cool Auscraft! The only thing that gets near the back yard here before the Boxers scare them off are a couple of white-tail deer and a flock of wild turkeys that are checking out the new food offerings (the farmer next to us just planted the field). Only get to hear the coyotes, but they are sometimes just behind the house in the woodsline when they know the dogs are inside. Love to see the photos you all have to post from your wonderful land down under. Plus the 'roo jerky is great too!