BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice on cheap, good hammock

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Darren, I flip around like omelet all night in my hammock, some nights, I like to sleep face down. No problem!

As Kobolt surmised, With hammock, its much more choice for your pitch, the are no rock digging on your kidneys all night, no bother to look for flat surface.
You can hammock on a swamp and pack your gears dry. You always have a comfy bed. In summer, you have really cool sleep.
Plenty more reason for hammocks.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I go with the Hennessy myself almost a design classic.That cheap blue one looks like a waste of time and money.

XT John

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I can see more disadvantages than advantages to the hammocks, but maybe I'm just set in my ways!
I have spent a few nights in hammocks (mainly suspended on rock faces or under overhangs a long way off the ground) and personally find them uncomfortable as I move around a lot at night.
On the other hand I have spent nearly two thousand nights in tents and find a good quality tent has these benefits-

-stability. The whole thing doesn't move when you do.
-room. You can sit up, squat, kneel to dress or use a pee bottle. All of your gear comes inside, out of the elements.
-strength. A properly designed tent will get stronger the harder the wind blows.
-snow shedding. Once again, a good design works well.
-insulative. A tent will hold a good fug very well, even in windy conditions.
-Cooking. If needed, you can cook inside.
-Sanity preservation. Try spending several days trapped in a hammock when the elements are at their worst!

A good hammock or tent will be vermin proof, very quick to erect and lightweight.

Groundsheets and digging trenches around the tent is unnecessary with a good watertight tub floor.

It comes down to whatever floats your boat! From my own experience, I personally find a good tent a much more viable, usable and comfortable option.
Whatever you like to use, DO NOT SKIMP ON QUALITY, When things turn bad, shelter from the elements is what will keep you alive!

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
No Darren, I sleep on my side in mine. It's easy to roll around.
The purpose of the footbox in the blackbird hammock is so that the mosquito netting doesn't press down on your toes or restrict footroom.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To all you hammock campers. Do you just lie on your back? I roll around a fair bit and could never sleep the one way all night.

Same here Darren. I move around a fair bit also. In my hammock which is a warbonnet I tend to sleep on my side. I find this the best position. I normally sleep on my front at home but the side is fine for the hammock and I sleep just as well like that. The warbonnet is good that it has the foot pocket for laying diagonal, so as long as you set it up properly you have a decent amount of room.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I can see more disadvantages than advantages to the hammocks, but maybe I'm just set in my ways!
I have spent a few nights in hammocks (mainly suspended on rock faces or under overhangs a long way off the ground) and personally find them uncomfortable as I move around a lot at night.

Well, mate, to each their own.

I used to use tent when my family are young and we go camping together.
It is much easier to keep kids amused in a tent, beside the fact that they are of ten afraid of the dark .. :non sono stato io:
I even have a 4 bedroom tent, still have it, anyone want to buy it? ;)
But, times progresses, the kids grown up and no longer cool for them to spend holidays with their old dad in the bush..
And She Who Must Be Obeyed's idea of a holiday involves room service, hot water shower and running toilet..
So, now it is only yours truly that went bush to relax.. so hammock it is for me.

Er.. use pee bottle? whatever for? a guy can p1ss without having to get out of the hammock!
Just make sure your boots is not in the target area.. :eek:kkiale:

XT John

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Er.. use pee bottle? whatever for? a guy can p1ss without having to get out of the hammock!
Just make sure your boots is not in the target area.. :eek:kkiale:
You can pee from inside the hammock? well, you learn something new every day.:sorrriso:
Boots are always inside the tent, safe from the elements/vermin.

There are several reasons to use a pee bottle-
When conditions are very wet and you cannot go outside for a leak.
When conditions are cold and you don't want to open the tent and lose the heat from within.
When conditions are very cold and you don't want to lose the heat from inside your sleeping bag.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
There are several reasons to use a pee bottle-
When conditions are very wet and you cannot go outside for a leak.
When conditions are cold and you don't want to open the tent and lose the heat from within.
When conditions are very cold and you don't want to lose the heat from inside your sleeping bag.

When you have just watched Bear Grylls drinking his and your curiosity gets the better of you...

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
What is the advantage of hammocks over tents?

Generally lighter (not always the case though).
Comes complete with fly & 'skeeta net (yeah so do many tents).
Not on the gound, which can sometimes offer better comfort.
Also means not worrying about water at ground level, rocks on ground, un-even ground, etc.
Downside - working out the under insulation issue, & does require some sort of structure for support which tents obviosly dont.

In the end it's horses for courses I reckon. As is usually the case there's pros & cons for all options.

Bill A.