Looking For A Old Rabbit Setting Hoe..

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Great, you have started a vintage Hytesst collection already.

Personally, I would try to select a rabbit setting hoe with a longer hoe head. I just think it would perform better (dig deeper) if you ever chose too use it of course. If you get just the head, I'm curious what timber you will choose for the handle. I heard spotted gum is often used by Australian manufacturers of hand tools. Looks like you have some options, Good luck in you're search- that is always the most enjoyable part:D Yes, you could say rabbits were Australia's blessing in disguise!

PS. Collectors have told me some tools/ vintage tools are often found under listings of axe/ tool heads etc by people who don't know what they are called. Those are where the real bargains can be found!(y)
Okay this could be a new thread on Australian tools and covers a few things. Hytest started just after WW2 and made a range of steel tools ,axes to hammers,etc ,In the mid 60's Hytest was taken over by Trojan tools. As far as I can make out the trade name died out in the early 80's sometime. Yes they did make a rabbit setting hoe, I found one for sale on eBay..

Not much info on the net on Hytest tools they are best remembered for there racing axes which are fairly collectable. They used steel from BHP steelworks in Newcastle NSW which is kind of cool.

Spotted gum (Corymbia maculate) is the best local wood for axes and hatchets. Krugers and Emu are two main brand names I have found that make replacement gum handles. Krugers seem pretty good with good grain orientation and no run out. Main issue I have had with Krugers is the could leave more wood for the eye.

I have not see any of the Emu brand handles near me but are sold in some Home Hardware stores. Trojan tools make some Spotted gum replacement handles but there axe and hatchet handles are some kind of Ash from Asia.

Attachments

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Don't know if you're interested in axes too, but plumb were very well regarded in Australia. The plumb tasmania was very popular as a competition axe. Growing up, many people still had plumb axes.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know if you're interested in axes too, but plumb were very well regarded in Australia. The plumb tasmania was very popular as a competition axe. Growing up, many people still had plumb axes.
Not seen many Plumb axes trolling the flea markets but I know they where a big brand back in the day. I have got Kelly ,Hulk Bruk, Hytest brands in the collection .I only get a axe if it is worth restoring, lots are sharped with angle grinders or to badly rusted.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Back on topic this a good bit of footage from 1940's which shows you what it uses to be like. My have to start a new thread on the axe in Australia it is a big subject.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
So far I have one hoe and one trap so he wins. I would not mind a few more traps to hang it the shed but to really a collector.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
So far I have one hoe and one trap so he wins. I would not mind a few more traps to hang it the shed but to really a collector.

Al, my brother has been collecting for over 40 odd years, he actually had to down size when they moved house LOL