Looking For A Old Rabbit Setting Hoe..

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking for a vintage rabbit setting hoe .Anyone got one in the shed they what to trade? I what to do a You Tube video on the subject of the rabbit in Australia.I what to show the gear that a trapper in the 1930's would of used.

Attachments

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Photos I just stole of the internet..Willing to trade some leather gear for one.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I can remember my cousin having one of those when I was a kid. I found this on gumtree (is it you?). Perhaps he is willing to sell one that he has a few of?

And this on ebay, quite expensive though. There is an older one there that is in an axe configuration. This may be one the the ebay listings already linked.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I am looking for a vintage rabbit setting hoe .Anyone got one in the shed they what to trade? I what to do a You Tube video on the subject of the rabbit in Australia.I what to show the gear that a trapper in the 1930's would of used.

View attachment 26205
This is actually a small one handed mattock purchased in a hardware store. I thought that this could easily be converted?
Keith.

Attachments

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I vaguely remember hearing of these a long time ago. I knew people who lived through the depression and war years who use to trap rabbits.

I found a l little bit of info on them. I think sometimes also called a "trapping hoe", or maybe a "rabbit trapping hoe" - as useful Google search terms for you. Obviously Americanised like everything else :)

You probably know this, but apparently an Australian made brand was called "Hytest"
and an English brand was called "Braids and Co."

Some had a nick in the head for pulling the trap chain out of the ground, like the one in you're picture, and some also had a nick in the blade for clearing earth off the steak, apparently.

I hope you find one and help keep this fine piece of history alive (y)

https://pateblog.nma.gov.au/2015/11/20/round-the-traps/

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I don't know why you're after it, and if it has to be an old rabbit hoe, but what about an adze? That's weird, Keith's post above show's your explanation further. I can only see that in Keith's post though. Ignore my adze suggestion :)

Detecta

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I've got one sitting on the passenger floor of my ute. You can have it for $10 plus shipping. Have to wait till Monday for shipping price. I got the weekend to wire wheel it to clean it up a bit and sand the handle and give it a coat of 50 /50 pine tar & tung oil if your interested. I'm from Darwin.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I can remember my cousin having one of those when I was a kid. I found this on gumtree (is it you?). Perhaps he is willing to sell one that he has a few of?

And this on ebay, quite expensive though. There is an older one there that is in an axe configuration. This may be one the the ebay listings already linked.
Not me on gumtree looks like a full time collector bloke. Yes ebay prices are crazy but the is just the norm for ebay. ..

The one on eBay listed "AXE HEAD & HAMMER with SLIT for RABBIT GRIFFITH TOOL WORKS AUSTRALIA c1900" looks just like a hatchet with a nail puller and hammer poll. Looks it like the old Kent axes and hatchets you get in the UK..

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I can remember when I saw my cousin with one thinking "sheesh, a purpose made tool!" I don't think many people used them - I hadn't seen one before. My cousin's family were pretty poor at the time, and I was just surprised that they had this. Although I can imagine people who lived off rabbiting would have had them - it was quite a common thing during and after the depression.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Not me on gumtree looks like a full time collector bloke. Yes ebay prices are crazy but the is just the norm for ebay. ..

The one on eBay listed "AXE HEAD & HAMMER with SLIT for RABBIT GRIFFITH TOOL WORKS AUSTRALIA c1900" looks just like a hatchet with a nail puller and hammer poll. Looks it like the old Kent axes and hatchet you get in the UK..
Yes, it looked like an old wood working tool to me. From the days when nails were forged and trees were draw sawn by hand over pits. The sort of thing used by someone making a slab and bark hut or something like that.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got one sitting on the passenger floor of my ute. You can have it for $10 plus shipping. Have to wait till Monday for shipping price. I got the weekend to wire wheel it to clean it up a bit and sand the handle and give it a coat of 50 /50 pine tar & tung oil if your interested. I'm from Darwin.
Just shooting you a message mate....

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember hearing of these a long time ago. I knew people who lived through the depression and war years who use to trap rabbits.

I found a l little bit of info on them. I think sometimes also called a "trapping hoe", or maybe a "rabbit trapping hoe" - as useful Google search terms for you. Obviously Americanised like everything else :)

You probably know this, but apparently an Australian made brand was called "Hytest"
and an English brand was called "Braids and Co."

Some had a nick in the head for pulling the trap chain out of the ground, like the one in you're picture, and some also had a nick in the blade for clearing earth off the steak, apparently.

I hope you find one and help keep this fine piece of history alive (y)

https://pateblog.nma.gov.au/2015/11/20/round-the-traps/
Always keen to get old Hytest tools I sure they made a rabbit hoe. I got a Hytesst hatchet that needs a bit of work in the shed. Was a lot of folk that would of gone hungry if it was not for rabbits in the 30's.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it looked like an old wood working tool to me. From the days when nails were forged and trees were draw sawn by hand over pits. The sort of thing used by someone making a slab and bark hut or something like that.
The ebay listing is a bit off...Really nothing to do with trapping just a carpenters style axe.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
My Dad, now 80, remembers going out with his stdp brothers and his Dad trapping rabbits. They used to tow a single tine plough behind their ute which was loaded with traps. They would set the traps and drop them in the furrows. They would be going off as they laid them. They got like a shilling a hide. He remembers they temporarily lived in an old farmhouse which had one room basically full of hides and another full of carcasses, which they would sell when they had a full load.
Tough way to make a living though.
Cheers
Bloffy

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Always keen to get old Hytest tools I sure they made a rabbit hoe. I got a Hytesst hatchet that needs a bit of work in the shed. Was a lot of folk that would of gone hungry if it was not for rabbits in the 30's.

Great, you have started a vintage Hytesst collection already.

Personally, I would try to select a rabbit setting hoe with a longer hoe head. I just think it would perform better (dig deeper) if you ever chose too use it of course. If you get just the head, I'm curious what timber you will choose for the handle. I heard spotted gum is often used by Australian manufacturers of hand tools. Looks like you have some options, Good luck in you're search- that is always the most enjoyable part:D Yes, you could say rabbits were Australia's blessing in disguise!

PS. Collectors have told me some tools/ vintage tools are often found under listings of axe/ tool heads etc by people who don't know what they are called. Those are where the real bargains can be found!(y)

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
My Dad, now 80, remembers going out with his stdp brothers and his Dad trapping rabbits. They used to tow a single tine plough behind their ute which was loaded with traps. They would set the traps and drop them in the furrows. They would be going off as they laid them. They got like a shilling a hide. He remembers they temporarily lived in an old farmhouse which had one room basically full of hides and another full of carcasses, which they would sell when they had a full load.
Cheers
Bloffy
Great story Bloffy. Gee, I don't think you catch them like that now, even if the traps were legal. And that says something about their numbers at the time. Yes, I think it was something that quite a few returned servicemen did after WW2 - and probably WW1? I knew a family of 10 pound poms when I was a kid. The father told me that during WW2 England used to get huge wooden boxes (bigger than a coffin) of rabbits from Australia. It will be an interesting story that Howling dingo puts together; they really were a plague that we can't imagine now. The picture below is in Moruya, NSW

The caption for the picture below: "One night's catch at Woodstock, NSW: 173 crates containing more than 3,000 rabbits. (State Library of NSW/ BCP 02392) "

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers
Bloffy
Seems that a lot of folk made a full time living out of this in the 1930's and 40's.Some people rabbit was just a cheap or free meal. Also for some school kids it was a source of pocket money .Shilling a hide, I was try to find the price of a hide thanks for that .Tough way to make a living perhaps ,but I rather do that than work in a coal mine or steel works.