BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reptile Long neck turtles rescued

Wattaglampingspot

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi. We recently rescued two turtles from the middle of the road. In the car they stunk so much! I'm just wondering if it was a defence mechanism to warn off threats? They smell was so bad and unique like nothing I've ever smelt before!

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha .. yes its defence.
I rescued a turtle from a busy road and the first thing if did when I picked it up was to poo and it was horrible !!

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I used to grab them off the road all the time every Spring (Gippsland) - they go searching for new habitat. Sometimes they'd be a long way from any water source. They shoot out a piddle - it's not too bad. I put a huge one in my daypack once - I was on a mountain bike and detoured 10km to the nearest river :D

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I am always rescuing Eastern Long Necks at the large nature reserve where i do bush regen.

Very active after rain, they move between two locations that has a semi busy road running down the middle.
One side has a huge lagoon the other side is a Golf Course with lots of water traps.

lots of youngsters around, so cute
...added bonus to young to be scared and poo on you lol
20190407_103904.jpg

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I am always rescuing Eastern Long Necks at the large nature reserve where i do bush regen.

Very active after rain, they move between two locations that has a semi busy road running down the middle.
One side has a huge lagoon the other side is a Golf Course with lots of water traps.

lots of youngsters around, so cute
...added bonus to young to be scared and poo on you lol
View attachment 28661

That is really awesome. I’ve never seen a baby before. Rescued plenty of adults off the road. Learnt very quickly to keep bitey end up and away from my body.