Locations for bushcraft in Vic?

wellis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
G'day, pretty new to bushcrafting, and new to this forum. I'm trying to find out about places in Vic where you can go do bushcraft, build campfires, dispersed camping? That general sort of fun stuff. Websites and such seem to be really vague, one website says stuff about what you can do at a place, and another website might say something completely different. Figured I'd just ask people who actually do bushcraft.
Cheers

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
G'day, pretty new to bushcrafting, and new to this forum. I'm trying to find out about places in Vic where you can go do bushcraft, build campfires, dispersed camping? That general sort of fun stuff. Websites and such seem to be really vague, one website says stuff about what you can do at a place, and another website might say something completely different. Figured I'd just ask people who actually do bushcraft.
Cheers
What sort of country are you after and where do you live? There is like poor mallee scrub type country, or deep mountain ash, and even some temperate rain forest among other types.

wellis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not super fussed as to what climate it is, probably prefer more forest type areas, I am from Melbourne.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not super fussed as to what climate it is, probably prefer more forest type areas, I am from Melbourne.
I haven't lived in melbourne for a long time. But things are growing out, for sure. In Gippsland you can go to Noojee. There are lots of tracks that run off the mt baw baw tourist rd. It's deep, steep, and wet. I've seen deer there. One amazing area in the opposite direction out of melbourne is near Whittlesea - Toorourrong Reservoir. Funny enough, I've seen deer here too. It is more open country than Noojee; easy to explore off track. You're not supposed to be in there, it's catchment area. I never had a
pooh there, and like everywhere I go, I piddle a long way from creeks etc. This country hasn't been touched since around WW2. The mountain ash are huge - some are 75m to the start of their canopy. This presents a danger. When I first went there, I found these 4 to 5 foot dead branches stuck heavy end into the ground. The ground is generally pretty soft. It looked as though somebody was walking along and stuck them in. There were no signs of people past or present though. That's when it clicked - mountain ash limbs, if they don't get enough light, they self prune. They die on the tree. On a windy day, or not, they sooner or later break off. Most of them at the heavy end were about 1 - 2" in diameter. Falling straight like an arrow from 75m, and it's heavy hard wood :rolleyes:. Some big hills and 4wd maintenance or fire tracks, easy walking or mtb. You have to climb the fence. Around Kyneton there are quite a few reserves. The reserves are generally rocky scrubby dry poor hilly country. I could stop any where in one of them, scout the canopy, and find a koala. Lots of dry wood and rock. Again in Gippsland but this time to the South of the Valley there is Grand ridge road. The road runs along the top of a ridge. It's a huge fast dirt road. Lots of tracks off to the south which is mostly eucalypt plantation with pockets of farmland here and there. Many of the tracks don't get much use. I used to travel through a lot of these tracks on an enduro bike - in 2 years I never saw anyone to the south of Grand ridge until I hit little areas like Devon North, with the occasional farm houses on the outskirts. That country is hilly, wet, lots of creeks. Through winter a lot of trees fall off the high edge of the generally 4wd tracks across the tracks. In some places this can be every 10 meters. So Winter is on foot once you get off the larger tracks. The tracks are often cleared at the end of winter when things start to dry out. Holey Plains state park, just to the south of Rosedale. This is sandy, with small incredibly heavy wood - banksia. It's undulating with quite a few swampy areas. I've seen lots of snakes, monster goannas, wombats, wallabies, roos, emus. These are just a few that are still reasonably fresh in my mind. 1 - 100,000 topographical maps should be fine - they're all easy navigation, walking off track etc, the only exception to this is the country around Noojee. Oh, and of course, Warburton. From the top of mt donna buang, any where to the North. Big trees, big hills, long climbs, long descents, creeks, grassy unused fire tracks. Because many of the fire trails are grassy you often come across wallabies. Always rivers and creeks at the bottom of the descents / ascents. There was a nice walking track up cement creek - that was generally my kick off point.

Last edited:

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
If you head out the west side of Melbourne towards Ballarat , the wombat state forest is pretty close to Bacchus marsh ( from memory) .
That goes through all the way to trentham , trentham east , daylesford area , and the lerdederg state forest is in there too.

I haven't been for quite a few years, its not too far from Melbourne.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Cheers

Looks like you got some answers here. Haven't lived in Vic since 1980. It can be hard finding the right campsite, been there many times. But when you do little else compares... Good luck(y)

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Hi Wells, I haven't been on the forum for a while; I see this was posted a couple of months ago. How did you go in finding a good place for Bushcraft near Melbourne? The suggestions above are very good. Another excellent place is Bunyip State Park; it's nice and close to the south eastern suburbs. I prefer the south where 4x4s and trail bikes are excluded. One morning I woke up there with a herd of deer to my left and a mob of roos to my right. If you wish, search "Bunyip" on this forum to find more about it such as this trip there, a while back: Click this link for a Bunyip SP trip report or this link for another example26352

Last edited:

AusTac

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey mate, haven't been on thr forum for a while but am very active outdoors all over Victoria, i am from N/E Melbourne and spend almost every weekend out bush, a state forest is what your after, so long as you're not damaging standing vegitation within reason you can do what you like