BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Common Name: Little Egret

Scientific Name: Egretta garzetta

Family: Ardeidae

Order: Ciconiiformes

Other Names: NA

Distribution: mainly in coastal and inland areas of northern, eastern and south-eastern Australia. It is common on the north, uncommon in the south, and only a winter visitor to Tasmania.

Habitat
: tidal mudflats, saltwater and freshwater wetlands, and mangroves.

Field Notes: small white egret with dark grey-black legs, black bill and a bright yellow naked face. Size: 56- 65 cm. Simalar spiecies include Cattle Egrets, Ardea ibis, Intermediate Egrets, A. intermedia, and the white form of the Eastern Reef Egret, Egretta sacra

Photo by Auscraft 2011, Brisbane, QLD

View attachment 2127View attachment 2128

Last edited:

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
nice post aus.

I know it.s not the same species but there's bulk cows, and cattle egrets around here. After seeing them grow up you get to know cows and bullocks by sight.

There's a pinky-white one that lives by mine (eats my grass more than the grumpy bugger that owns him) that's cute as a bug's chin and a few months back he left his Mum, found himself an egret.

I have no idea what happened, probably old age...but I drove by him this morning and his egret was dead. Not asleep...doornail, dead.

I slowed enough to see he was licking it, poking it like it was a calf... Poor bugger. He looked so concerned.

When I drove by about 6 hrs later (4pm) that young bullock was still sitting next to his egret. Not licking it, or poking it with a hoof. Just...sitting next to him.

Animals blow me away with their humanity, and humans do the same with their animosity. What a world.

Poor little dude, he was out at 9pm just sitting by that bird, still looking confused.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
nice post aus.

I know it.s not the same species but there's bulk cows, and cattle egrets around here. After seeing them grow up you get to know cows and bullocks by sight.

There's a pinky-white one that lives by mine (eats my grass more than the grumpy bugger that owns him) that's cute as a bug's chin and a few months back he left his Mum, found himself an egret.

I have no idea what happened, probably old age...but I drove by him this morning and his egret was dead. Not asleep...doornail, dead.

I slowed enough to see he was licking it, poking it like it was a calf... Poor bugger. He looked so concerned.

When I drove by about 6 hrs later (4pm) that young bullock was still sitting next to his egret. Not licking it, or poking it with a hoof. Just...sitting next to him.

Animals blow me away with their humanity, and humans do the same with their animosity. What a world.

Poor little dude, he was out at 9pm just sitting by that bird, still looking confused.

Interesting observation Q, and as for humanity and animosity, often misused terms ay?