Amphibian Litoria raniformis (Growling Grass Frog)

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Common Name: Growling Grass Frog

Scientific Name: Litoria raniformis

Other Names: Green Frog, Southern Bell Frog (NSW),Growling Grass Frog (VIC & SA) and Green and Gold Frog (TAS)

Order: Anura

Family: Ranidae

Habitat: Swamps, dams, ponds, lakes.

Distribution: SE Australia including parts of Tasmania.

Field Notes: Ground dwelling tree frog up to 10 cm in length, mottled bright green and bronze colour above, dark brown bumps, pale cream underside, pale stripe running from the side of the head down the flanks, blue-green thighs.

Image:
Tamar Island Wetlands Reserve, Launceston, TAS.

View attachment 7040

Last edited:

Eugenio Coscarelli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Reference: Amphibians of South Australia by Mike Tyler

Habitat: Confined to areas within reasonable distance of permanent swamps or rivers.

Biology: Tadpoles of this species are generally found in well vegetated, permanent dams and swamps, swimming near the surface. The maximum length attained by the tadpole is 100mm, and larval life is usually prolonged, estending over two seasons, with metamorphosis occurring at any time between January and April.

Geographical distribution: Within SA occurs in several distinct and quite disjunct distributions, (a) on the River Murray; (b) in the Lower South East of the state extending as far north to the Coola Coola Swamp 43 km WSW of Keith.

Thanks for reading and stay safe.

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi Greatbloke, Hairyman and Eugenio ,

I have started the long process of fixing all of my images in the database and am have started directly uploading them to Bushcraft Oz. It will take me some time to find and sort all of the images but I hope to have it done by the end of the month...this one has now been fixed.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
It might be better to use photobucket, it has a mass uploader and people can see the images when not logged in. you just paste a link to the img, can go on as many sites as you want, saves bandwidth for the forum too.