BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightweight tarp I just found (Sam Hunt Hunting Orange )

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Just another heads up on possible shelter I just found on eBay

Sam Hunt sells mainly to the hunting and shooting crowd

Search "Tarp"s on Ebay

Size and weight are right for 1 to 2 people in reasonable weather, I just sent a request for more information on fabric and proofing; I'll copy everyone in on the reply

Last edited by a moderator:

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
And another one listed as Vietnamese made; any comment Templar??

Search ebay for "tarpaulin hexagonal Camping hammock"

I actually think the stuff made in VN is better than Chinese.
I prefer green myself but there are times when you really want to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Yes a lot of the outdoor gear is made here... even Australian companies like Plat-a-tac (Platypus Outdoors) make all their stock here now, sometimes you can find their stock in the local markets in Saigon, not so much here in Can Tho...

As for a tarp, if i hade one made it would be earth tone on one side and bright orange on the other to use as an emergency signal if needed or even just to make my camp look more "Normal" if I'm in a public camp area.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Templar; maybe if you can find a supply of decent tarps you could organise a bulk purchase for us all, we won't have to pay any duty if the total is under $1k- and we could handle the distribution from here. I like the idea of bright orange on one side and olive drab o the other but a double layer tarp is heavier than need; you could be carry two tarps for the same weight``````````````````````````````````````````````````

konect

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Main thing to watch with tarps is the strength vs weight.

I got an Oware tarp from the US (Oware Tarps).

They are lightweight, strong and well made. I think I paid ~$120 delivered for mine and it packs down in a bag about 15cm x 10cm.

Worth looking into IMO.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just a quick shout out for a top crafsman a bit closer to home too.

Evan at Terra Rosa Gear makes a mean tarp. Lots of different configurations. Awesome quality, top, personal service. Comes in sil nylon or tyvek. He can do custom work for you too.

Got mine ordered at the moment in red. no afilliation. Just a happy customer.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice, I'm very happy with my 3 by 3m Evan made up. Which model did you go for Blake?

RichardK

Russell Coight
Reaction score
If your looking for a Budget Tarp/Shelter there is this

http://www.amazonoutdoors.com.au/Pr...ands/Oztrail7/OZtrail-Hiker-Fly-(OZTMPH-HF-B)
HikerFly.jpg

A snip at $25 800gms with Ropes and Pegs

Here is a shot of it set up with my hiking tent under it on a scout camp

P2190239.jpg

or if the pyramid type suits there is this

http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=911&selfpath=/12/134
http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/data/photo/gallery/134@Mini peak II 2008.jpg

can be purchased on EBAy $99 delivered 1300gms

I own one of each, and can vouch for both having used on several scout hikes

Last edited:

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
I have one of those Tenth Wonder tarps (the one moondog metioned). It is very effective and waterproof, bone dry on the underside all week, comes with stuff sack. Storm tested here over a fairly wet week. It is not a regular equal hexagon though, sides are longer than other edges at the end. Very happy for the price. Can't fault the workmanship or materials. Will get another soon. Mine is green. Not camo but not really obvious, not out of place in a proper campground.

Last edited: