Lentil dahl recipe

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
This is a meal I've taken a few times while camping. It's really tasty and filling, and it's fairly light and compact.
It takes about half an hour to cook depending on the temperature. You could start cooking it then after adding the water and letting it heat back up, take it off the heat and just let it cook with the remaining heat (ideal if you have a billy cozy or thermos). Then when almost done put it back on the heat to finish. That way you don't have to watch it for the whole time, or so you can travel with it in your pack as it cooks and save fuel.

I've shared it with a few people and most people seem to like it.

- Lentils bag
Red lentils 1/4 cup
Veg stock powder 1/2 tsp
Chicken stock powder 1/2 tsp
Dry tomatoes 1 tblsp
Coconut milk powder 10g
Garlic flakes 1tsp
Chilli flakes 1/2 tsp
Ginger powder 1/2 tsp
Dried peas 1 tblsp
Dried parsley 1 tsp

- Spice bag
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Dried onion 1 tblsp
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Corriander seed (ground)1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Curry powder 1tsp

- Rice bag
Rice 1/4 cup
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Chicken stock 1/2 tsp
Garlic flakes 1/2 tsp
Dried onion 2 tsp
Dried peas 1/2 tblsp
Dried tomatoes 1/2 tblsp
Chilli flakes 1/4 tsp

Each goes into a snack bag, then the 3 snack bags go into a sandwich bag, making a complete semi-instant meal. Unfortunately it does produce a fair bit of waste though (4 zip lock bags), but probably no more than a lot of prepackaged food.

I throw the spice bag in to my camp cup or billy dry (or with oil or ghee which makes it even better) and fry it up until it starts to smoke (stir or shake so it fries evenly), then add the lentils and some water (I never measured the amount of water, just go by eye), then cook. The rice bag is best cooked in another container but if you only have one you can throw the rice in once the lentils are almost done so it cooks together.

I don't know whether this was the latest version. I tweaked it a bunch of times and that could be an old copy. But the majority of components will still be the same.
You'll notice there's some duplication in different bags. I did that intentionally so that if anything happens to the lentils bag for example (such as getting wet and starting to go bad) then the rice bag still has some flavor and can be eaten on its own. Or I can turn the lentils into soup and save the rice for a different meal.

The dry components don't look like they'd turn into much of a meal but the lentils and rice swell up quite a lot so it ends up much more food than you would think.

Rather than making up each batch separately you can speed it up by multiplying each part by 5, or 10, then weigh the batch, divide that weight by your multiplier, and then fill each bag with that divided weight. (Hopefully that's clear enough for you to see what I'm trying to say.)

Last edited: