Leather equipment belt

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I just got this handmade leather equipment belt today. I chose brown English bridle leather, a heavy duty stainless steel pistol belt roller-buckle and hand pinned solid brass rivets. I needed a new belt and always wanted one like this. Here it is.

Sleeper

Russell Coight
Reaction score
45 deg N lat / 90 deg W long (or nearly so 😉)
Nice belt! Looks very sturdy! I like the thickness of the bridle strap leather. How thick and how wide? Nearly all of my belts are of some sort of webbing like material but for general principles, I should make myself a nice leather belt like yours. The "hand pinned solid brass rivets" (IMHO) leave a little bit to be desired visually but are probably NEVER seen when the belt is being worn. Google "Chicago rivets" for an idea how to get rid of the "hammered" look. Ya, kind of nit picky but I've never been happy with getting rivets to "mushroom" out for a proper look. That's just me :rolleyes:.
Sleeper

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Beautiful looking belt mate, handy for a quick blade strop as well (y)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Nice belt! Looks very sturdy! I like the thickness of the bridle strap leather. How thick and how wide? Nearly all of my belts are of some sort of webbing like material but for general principles, I should make myself a nice leather belt like yours. The "hand pinned solid brass rivets" (IMHO) leave a little bit to be desired visually but are probably NEVER seen when the belt is being worn. Google "Chicago rivets" for an idea how to get rid of the "hammered" look. Ya, kind of nit picky but I've never been happy with getting rivets to "mushroom" out for a proper look. That's just me :rolleyes:.
Sleeper

Thanks. He said its 4 - 4.5mm, which isn't the thickest, but he said if I went thicker it may feel like a hoop. As far as hardware goes its a preference thing really, and all about what you like/ want. Importantly I wanted brass or copper rivets and as far as I know these are hammered like they were in the old days- apparently this is the strongest possible method of riveting. I also like the 'hammered look, but cant take credit for it, the leather smith did it. Chicago rivets are a great idea, but IMO they can come lose, or at least they use to 20 years ago, not sure about now! But I do believe they are not as strong as a hammered/ fixed rivet.

I looked into Hanks Belts USA, but even their high end gun belt with heavy duty stainless steel buckle and 5.5mm thick bridle leather, only had nickel plated steel rivets (Chicago rivets). But I wanted rivets that would last and had character. I considered copper, but chose brass. According to YouTube brass lasts longer, but copper is meant to be the strongest on leather, but I wasn't convinced so I chose brass. From my experience, once nickel plated steel is scratched it starts rusting. These are the reasons I went for the rivets and materials I did. The other belts would probably last too, but I'm just a perfectionist I guess and I could be wrong too!:rolleyes:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a bit more of a brass fan,...I get most of them from the USA as most buckles are made in China. There is a small company that makes copper belt buckles but they cost a fair bit, on the to do list...

Last edited:

Sleeper

Russell Coight
Reaction score
45 deg N lat / 90 deg W long (or nearly so 😉)
Thanks. He said its 4 - 4.5mm, which isn't the thickest, but he said if I went thicker it may feel like a hoop. As far as hardware goes its a preference thing really, and all about what you like/ want. Importantly I wanted brass or copper rivets and as far as I know these are hammered like they were in the old days- apparently this is the strongest possible method of riveting. I also like the 'hammered look, but cant take credit for it, the leather smith did it. Chicago rivets are a great idea, but IMO they can come lose, or at least they use to 20 years ago, not sure about now! But I do believe they are not as strong as a hammered/ fixed rivet.

I looked into Hanks Belts USA, but even their high end gun belt with heavy duty stainless steel buckle and 5.5mm thick bridle leather, only had nickel plated steel rivets (Chicago rivets). But I wanted rivets that would last and had character. I considered copper, but chose brass. According to YouTube brass lasts longer, but copper is meant to be the strongest on leather, but I wasn't convinced so I chose brass. From my experience, once nickel plated steel is scratched it starts rusting. These are the reasons I went for the rivets and materials I did. The other belts would probably last too, but I'm just a perfectionist I guess and I could be wrong too!:rolleyes:
I get your point on your position. We all like what we like and really don't have justify it but your reasons are clearly valid personally as well as practically. I imagine that belt will outlast most of the members of this forum😉. RE: Chicago rivets coming loose, a little LocTite on the threads (beeswax for the purists) would reduce that potential.
Sleeper

Last edited: