Laws, legality and the like..

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked or covered before.

The thread by @Markie D has got me thinking;

Is anybody aware of any laws, by-laws, regulations etc in regards to practising bushcraft in state forest, national parks, crown land, reserves etc?

For instance, if I was to go down into the bush next to the river near where I live and built a shelter, would I be breaking any laws?
If I cut down some dead standing trees, or used some bark or leaves or bracken fern, is that ok?

TIA

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked or covered before.

The thread by @Markie D has got me thinking;

Is anybody aware of any laws, by-laws, regulations etc in regards to practising bushcraft in state forest, national parks, crown land, reserves etc?

For instance, if I was to go down into the bush next to the river near where I live and built a shelter, would I be breaking any laws?
If I cut down some dead standing trees, or used some bark or leaves or bracken fern, is that ok?

TIA
Can you camp anywhere in a national park Australia?
The short answer is no, you can't just park up where you feel like it to camp overnight, however you will find many designated areas throughout all states and territory's of Australia that do allow free or low cost camping. ... Usually you will see specific signs stating that overnight camping is not allowed
https://www.gallivantingoz.com.au/free-camping-australia
Camping is permitted in all State forests (except for Cumberland and Strickland State forests). Camping is generally not permitted in picnic areas. Exceptions are rest areas in places where major highways pass through State forests.
https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/camping-and-picnics
How long can you stay on Crown land?
three weeks

Camping or occupying Crown land for a period longer than three weeks is an offence and penalties may be imposed. You are not permitted to cultivate or permit animals under your control to enter or remain on Crown land.

Is wild camping legal in Australia?
Australia and New Zealand
Although you can wild camp pretty much anywhere in the Outback, Australian laws on wild camping elsewhere are surprisingly strict. ... Providing it's not expressly prohibited, you are permitted to wild camp on public conservation land.
https://matadornetwork.com/read/everything-need-know-going-wild-camping-legally/
Despite a slight easing in fire conditions several national parks and reserves, ... closed parks this means no public access at all, including tracks, trails, campgrounds ... Flora reserves are NSW State forest lands permanently reserved to conserve ... Australia's National Landscapes · Foundation for National Parks and Wildlife ...
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/conservation-and-heritage/different-parks-different-purposes
Camping within a State forest or timber reserve is only permitted within designated camping areas. Camping fees are payable at camping sites where signs have been erected to that effect (the applicable fees are listed in Division 6 of Schedule 1 of the CALM Regulations 2002 (WA)). It is also an offence to light a campfire or use a barbeque or portable stove where flora or forest produce is in danger of being burnt, in addition to the general prohibition against unlawfully lighting fires. Other restrictions within State forests and timber reserves Under the CALM Regulations 2002 (WA), it is an offence to do any of the following in a State forest or timber reserve: • Plant, cultivate or abandon any plant. • Remove any native flora, except firewood for campfires in the immediate vicinity of a camping area. • Place litter or other material on a reserve. • Remove, damage or disturb any naturally occurring feature (such as a fossil, marine shells, minerals etc). • Abseil or sand-board down any slope. • Erect any structure or building.
http://www.edowa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/11/factsheet_bhpl-state-forests-and-timber-reserves.pdf
Hope this helps.
Keith.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Just make the laws up as you go. If you follow someone else's law you will do nothing and go nowhere

Markie D

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Interested to see what the government defines as wild camping. And surely in a survival situation there would be exemptions in place to allow someone to make a semi perm shelter for survival. And this opens the discussion of what is considered survival? If i go out intentially with a back pack and a sleeping bag in summer and then it rains and i am caught without cover, is that a survival situation?
Also, I wonder what is regarded as "Erect a structure", Technically a lean to shelter built for 1 night out of the rain might be considered a structure, But if i pull it down is it considered illegal..... Lots of open questions tbh.
But i think i agree with Peter123...... Making my own law might be more logical.

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks for your wisdom Keith.

Peter while I get your sentiments I reckon you'd have to be pretty careful with how you played that out in the real world, you could get in some pretty hot water! I guess it comes down to common sense really - if we follow the laws and rules too closely then yeah you are right, we'd be stuck at home twiddling our thumbs, I guess it's about knowing the laws and then figuring out how to bend them a little. Some of them are a pain in the arse but some of them (eg fire restrictions) are there for pretty good reasons!

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Koala bear?! Do you mean Koala..? 😝

I guess they live more harmoniously within their environment and don't screw it up like humans are prone to..?
And they can't light fires 😂

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Outventures obviously you need to use common sense out bush and hopefully have a correctly functioning moral compass. But as long as you are prepared to give up medical science ( to keep you alive past your use by date). There is no reason why you can't just walk off into the bush, and just live naturally or as close to natural as you choose. Cheers Peter

Markie D

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks for your wisdom Keith.

Peter while I get your sentiments I reckon you'd have to be pretty careful with how you played that out in the real world, you could get in some pretty hot water! I guess it comes down to common sense really - if we follow the laws and rules too closely then yeah you are right, we'd be stuck at home twiddling our thumbs, I guess it's about knowing the laws and then figuring out how to bend them a little. Some of them are a pain in the arse but some of them (eg fire restrictions) are there for pretty good reasons!
Yeah i hear ya. And totally agree, IMO it comes down to Intent.

Markie D

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Koala bear?! Do you mean Koala..? 😝

I guess they live more harmoniously within their environment and don't screw it up like humans are prone to..?
And they can't light fires 😂
**Skippy the Bush Kangaroo making strange Kangaroo noises**

- "Whats that Skip?"
- "Blinky Bill is playing with matches?"

♪♫♪♫♪ Skippy, Skippy, Skippy the SNITCH Kangaroo♪♫♪♫♪♫

Last edited:

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Outventures obviously you need to use common sense out bush and hopefully have a correctly functioning moral compass. But as long as you are prepared to give up medical science ( to keep you alive past your use by date). There is no reason why you can't just walk off into the bush, and just live naturally or as close to natural as you choose. Cheers Peter
Agree completely, unfortunately as the saying goes "Common sense isn't" 😉

Markie D

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
You're opening up a whole other can of worms there mate
oh bugger, I didn't mean it like that, yeah i don't wanna go down that avenue, I ment if 1 human can do it then surely we all can.....
Sorry no disrepect was intended by my above comment, (i removed that above comment as it can be misinterpreted)