BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Laughing kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae)

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Lots and Lots of activity from the Kookaburras around here at present and what appear to be juveniles like the one pictured.
Sometimes it appears to me that all the adults get together to "Sing" a 'Welcome' to the latest additions.
And its is really funny when the young ones have their first attempts at Laughing.
DSCN1317.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a strange encounter with a Kookaburra recently .... This one is eating a yabby.
(Sorry the photos are not too clear)

I could see he was banging and bashing something and tried to get closer and take a picture, then I realised it was a yabby !

This was on a river flat, and I don't know if he caught the yabby himself, or stole it somewhere ???

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before ?

20211223_130346.jpg

20211223_130355.jpg

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Apparently these are a big pest in Tassie, where they are not native.
Those in power target such things as rainbow lorikeets while ignoring starlings and now Indian Mynahs. As you know, Indian Mynahs are everywhere on the mainland now, and growing in coverage. They are very territorial. Those and starlings just don't leave room for other seed eaters etc. Right now Indian Mynahs are a tiny population in a tiny area. They will be allowed to dominate while we pick on a few kookaburras and lorikeets :rolleyes:. It doesn't seem right.