Land Rovers

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
There's an awful lot of Landrovers on the the road.
You would think someone would repair them so they could at least make it home.
Lol. Couldn't resist.
Says me who has a Mitsubishi Delica (awesome, by the way) but have done a lot of four wheelin in and with LR. Hard to beat, really.
I found a new Land Rover buried near my house.
It was a nice Discovery...
Ok, I'll stop now....
Cheers
Bloffy

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Good onya mate ;)
Delicas are a good but of kit. Great mix of practicality and ability. Just remember to ask for Triton driveline parts to avoid paying 3 times too much.

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I've never been 4wding in Land Rovers but I like how the Defender series have really good approach and departure angles. My daily drive for about 5 years was a Suzuki Sierra which went just about everywhere I wanted it, so I'd imagine the Defenders would be similar.
I actually downloaded a 4x4 instructional video which based around LRs, they did a section using a range of LD, from really old ones, through to the newer Discoveries. Was cool to see how the changes through the generations improved their capabilities in the trickier sections.
Unfortunately I had to sell the Suzi to get something more family friendly, so now I'm running a dual cab Triton which is totally different to drive but suits my current needs quite well.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
End of an era:

'Land Rover Defender production ends ahead of new-generation model launch'

I heard that it no longer meets safety standards, etc, etc, hence the change. But, it was not designed or intended to be a 'highway 4WD', it was meant to be a real off-roader - see any old 1940's/50's/60's British Empire movies/documentaries or ones set in outback Oz and Africa, and the first vehicles that enter the frame is a Rover - because if they weren't unbreakable, they were certainly fixable.

'CarAdvice has since learned that the new-generation Defender will not look like those models, but it is more likely to be a thoroughly modernised, safer, more efficient and more practical take on the Defender that we’ve become so familiar with.'

:piange:Looks like it will become an overly upholstered, plastic clad 'retro' version for North-Shore farmers.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
You would think someone would repair them so they could at least make it home.
My old series III 88 broke down on the way home the day I bought it. Had nothing with me, as I'd just picked it up so hadn't transferred my usual tool kit etc but I still managed to figure out the issue and fix it with a swiss army knife on the side of the road. Dodgy fuel pump IIRC.

Their reputation is well deserved but there's also a very good reason so many of them are still around. It's a shame something like the originals aren't available for those that want a basic yet capable offroader.

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Great thread, thanks!

Here is my Dsco 1, 2.5l TDi. It has it's issues, but its a great motor. It is, as said in the original post, a great balance between good angles and a bit of comfort over a defender. You do hear a lot about them being so unreliable, but you either have a lemon or an extremely sound vehicle in my opinion. Maybe there are just more lemon ladies about! One issue I find is that many mechanics are not familiar with them, whereas Japanese motors can be fixed by any man and his dog. The nuances of a landy (and the parts) are beyond the realm of practice in many rural and remote area service centre's. I suppose in some respects this doesn't do it any favours, having something that can be fixed by anyone is definitely a selling point.

Anyway, enough of my two cents worth on wether a Landy is worth the effort or not, here are some pics of mine.

As I said, its a great motor and any issues that I have had with it have essentially been "user error" and the effects thereof.

Whats the point in having a 4x4 if you are not going to get it out there and get its wheels dirty?

Last edited:

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
G 'day totumpole. Great to see an early Disco doing the marque proud.

And I second thruds query. That must be write a story?!

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
How the hell did you get it out in that last pic????
G 'day totumpole. Great to see an early Disco doing the marque proud.

And I second thruds query. That must be write a story?!
Well if you are all sitting comfortably...

I was out for a drive on some beaches and tracks about an hour from home. Time got away from me and it was already the time I had told the mrs i would be home. I was down on the beach and could have taken the easy route out, but this track caught my eye. It was a pretty steep ascent going into a rutted section further up. It was about a 2m step up, followed by a 90 degree left onto a narrow track and then a 90 degree right. I took a couple of go's to get up the first bit. i was probably being a bit ambitious given I didn't have anyone else along with me to spot. As such, I turned left too early for fear of ending up in the bush straight ahead. The left wheel left the track and the 2.5 tonnes of fourby made sure the entire left side followed suit.

I teetered there on the edge for a while, wondering if the loss of my body weight on the right side would be enough to let it fall over the edge onto its side or roof down on the beach. It felt very much like the end of the Italian job, minus the gold. I eventually got out, and it didn't move an inch. The front axle and bulbar were bellied up on some sandstone and the back left wheel had a bit of traction on the face. I didn't get a photo from the upper side, but from recollection the front right was on the ground and the back right was floating in the breeze.

I have a winch on the front, but there were not any substantial trees directly ahead, and I was also concerned the slightest movement of the back end out to the side would be enough to tip the scales in the unfavourable direction. After some pondering, i figured tying the rear recovery hitch off to the right of the vehicle would prevent this and I got underway with the recovery. Luckily my recovery kit was lay on the back seat, and was easily accessible. If it was in the boot (on the left where it usually is) I might have been in a bit of trouble. This fact has led me to think long and hard about where best to keep it should other perilous situations arise.

The winch did all the work really, and tying off the end of the disco definitely did the trick. It was still pretty hairy and I really thought I was going to roll a bead on that front tyre.

So here is the set up. This shot was taken once I was in a better position with the front wheel back on the track, but demonstrates what I did to recover the vehicle. It also shows the pretty treacherous entry to the track.

It was around this point someone else drove past on the beach and realised I was in (or at least had recently been) in a world of hurt. He stopped and help spot me back onto the track. Just as well or I probably would have backed off the drop again drying to straighten the disco up to tackle the remainder of the track.

All in all took about an hour to an hour and a half the get back on my way. There was no real damage to the vehicle, only the front left of the bulbar is now bent back into the body with a slight dent below the headlight. 'Tis but a battle scar!

Last edited:

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Bloody hell mate, that was a close one. Good and thoughtful recovery.
Tell me, have you removed all of the seat from your bum yet? ;)

Almost a contender for my "just stuffed up" thread.
Thanks for the yarn.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nasty sounding. I'm glad you survived with only a story to tell !

.... Have you been back since ? Teach that track who's boss !