BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungi Laetiporus portentosus (white punk fungus)

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Botanical Name: Laetiporus portentosus

Common Name: white punk fungus

Other Names:

Habitat A bracket fungus which grows on eucalypt trees

Distribution: South Eastern Australia - Tas, Vic and NSW in eucalypt forests, possibly into QLD too ?

Field Notes:
See also:
http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showt...entosus-(White-punk-fungus)&p=50684#post50684

This fungus is very distinct because the fungus becomes riddled with holes, eaten into it by the larvae of … (a small, black moth, I think – there were some remains inside some of the “tunnels”).

This causes the fungi to look like a piece of sponge, and when dry it is very light – like a piece of polystyrene.

P1280672 (Small).jpgP1290437 (Small).jpgP1290438 (Small).jpgP1290439 (Small).jpgP1290440 (Small).jpgP1290441 (Small).jpg

Uses:
The fungi is reportedly edible, and was used as a food by Aboriginal people; and as a medium to transport fire.
This species is realted to another species Laetiporus sulphureus which is commonly known as chicken of the woods, the chicken mushroom, or the chicken fungus, beause thay are said to taste like chicken - note this is NOT that particular species.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That's cool, haven't seen anything like it before...

I probably would have said "wasps nest" from a distance ;)

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Its not clear from the photos, but the fungi starts off being nice and "smooth", its the larvae who create the tunnels.

The specimen growing on the tree still had a smooth top and was only eaten on the underside, it was probably still alive. The piece which I picked up was completely tunneled through and was dead.

Worth keeping an eye out for it when you're in the bush. It does look a bit like a wasp nest

Here's a wasp's nest:
P1250901 (Small).jpg

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I too have recently found one of these, for scale the knife is 22.5cm long, thankx for the ID Aussie123 :D

IMG_1639.jpg

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
nope and now that I've found one I keep seeing them which is a good thing :D