BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Knipex cobra xs (4") pliers for edc kit

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting two of these for my kits. I have a small urban kit and a small kit for outdoors. I carry a swiss army pocketknife (with saw, hacksaw/file, pliers etc) in my outdoor kit, although the pliers are more akin to robust tweezers; awesome for small stuff. In my urban kit I've just got a swiss card. This xs (4", 100mm) hasn't been out for long. They also have a pliers wrench model, but that doesn't seem as versatile.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Update: I've had the cobra xs in urban and bush edc kits for a while now. I really like them. The pliers are precise and can be used for fine work; they can also be used for undoing nuts up to 24mm but can also grab other stuff up to 28mm diameter. The teeth are supposedly hardened to 60 hrc! They only weigh 62g. I've used my urban pair the most. The last time I used them was to operate a water tap that was missing the handle. The tap was on the wall of a public building; the handles are often removed so that people can't leave the taps running. I was out with basil the staghound and it was hot - lots of heat coming off the footpath etc. I carry drinking water but wanted to really wet him down. With the pliers it was pretty easy to open and close the tap - I filled the water bottle muliple times to wet Basil down on some nearby lawn (a win win). Another review, kind of reflecting my thoughts, although I think the sak is a worthy carry (the handyman) along with these pliers. I also have a swiss champ with the tiny bit driver - given to me as a present. I've put together a kit of the bits I need and use the most. The champ with bits is a tiny setup but too heavy / bulky for edc: I usually only carry it when we're car based travelling / staying at accommodation.

knipex cobra 100mm.jpg

swiss champ.jpg

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Jon Gadget on yt
Nice - I like his glue stick idea. Also his pouch. He has a video on my larger sak - the cybertool. I ordered two of the pouches. I have to more or less empty mine (what I have now) to find anything. The lay open design is much better.

Update: just been for a 2.5hr walk with Basil. Forestry tracks, then headed sth through bush and came across an abandoned forestry depot. There's a rail line through Maydena (where we're staying), and it finishes at this forestry depot. I imagine they loaded logs on the train. The line has been abandoned for a long time, and the sleepers being wood have date nails in them. I got a heap out using the knipex multi grips - piece of cake. 72 was the oldest, 75 was unique (broader head), 75, 76 and 78. Probably about 20 of them. The sleepers were old, of course, but I still couldn't get one out till I thought of the multi grips in my outdoor kit.

Last edited:

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but In my tool bag that lives in the car I have a small set of vice grips. Have gotten me out of trouble so many times for rounded bolts or where the arthritis in my hands won’t let me grip things tight enough with pliers or multi grips.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but In my tool bag that lives in the car I have a small set of vice grips. Have gotten me out of trouble so many times for rounded bolts or where the arthritis in my hands won’t let me grip things tight enough with pliers or multi grips.
Not off topic - these have a similar grip design to vise grips. Because the opening width of both can be adjusted, this makes them much more effective than fixed pliers. The jaws of fixed pliers when open are like a triangle; if it wasn't for the striations on the jaws they'd push whatever they're trying to grip out when closing.