BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Knife rules & Customs

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/foi/files/2011-2014/2013-030318_Documents_Released.pdf > From ... ( Original source )

This is for customs officers ...

Item 14 Definition and PolicyAutomatic knives
Automatic knives that have a blade folded or recessed into the handle which are designed or adapted to open automatically by pressure applied to any spring, device, stud or button in or attached to the handle or blade of the knife, including knives commonly known as flick knives, switchblades, assisted opening knives or flipper knives. Knives that contain a spring or other internal mechanism that assist the blade to open are considered to be automatic knives under this item such as traditional switchblades and stiletto knives. Knives that require initial pressure to be applied to the thumb stud and then the blade continues to open without further assistance are also considered to be automatic knives under this item. Additionally, all knives fitted with what is commonly referred to as a ‘flipper’ also fall to this item. Flippers are intended to enable a knife to be opened rapidly. Most ‘flipper’ knives also meet the definition of a single handed knife under Item 16 as they can usually also be opened with centrifugal force/gravity/inertia.

Item 16 Definition and Policy – Single Handed Opening Knives
Single handed opening knives, being knives that have a blade folded or recessed into the handle which is capable of being opened by gravity, inertia or centrifugal force. The scope of the definition remains unchanged, but clarifies the intention of terms utilised to describe the opening methods of the various knives with deployable blades, including: (a) a knife that opens through the use of inertia and or centrifugal force. This is intended to cover knives where the blade of the folding knife may be fully opened with the flick or double-action of the wrist. The requirement for some skill to release the blade into a fully opened position utilising centrifugal or inertial force is not intended to preclude a knife from being a classified as a single handed opening knife. (b) a knife that opens through the use of gravity. This is intended to cover knives which may be opened by force of gravity. The knife may be additionally controlled by a lever or button, but typically, applying pressure to such a device and pointing the knife downward will result in the knife’s blade releasing and locking into place. To open a knife using inertia or centrifugal force you may need to hold the knife in the hand in a horizontal position to the floor with the blade facing toward the floor and then move the knife in a downward then upward position with the force of your wrist. This technique has been found to be the easiest method to open knives using centrifugal force. However, there are other techniques that can be used. Please contact Firearms and Weapons Policy for video examples. A knife must be openable by gravity, inertia or centrifugal force from the fully closed position to the fully open position for it to meet the definition. It cannot open using gravity, inertia and centrifugal force along with a manual movement from the user. For example, a knife that requires the user to open the blade partially using a manual movement and then use centrifugal force to continue opening the knife is not controlled. The definition is not meant to cover knives such as Stanley knives or craft knives that have a blade that extends if the user pushes a sliding button. When the user stops pushing the slide, the knife stops extending, so the knife is not automatic. The definition is not meant to cover shaving blades, which can be opened via inertia or centrifugal force.

So it looks like they are knocking one handed opening knives on the head . ( Customs )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
So it looks like ...
This will be applying to liner locking knives and probably axis locking knives and any other lock that allows the blade to gravity open . This could even include some lock backs or knives with locks on their backs . This directive is different to the one I saw a year or more ago that was opposite to this .

I posted this as two liner lock knives I purchased VIA FeeBay were pulled up by customs and declared automatic .

There is an appeals process that can be used that does not require going to court . The process is included on the back of the seized goods notice . I very gingerly suggested that the goods had been identified incorrectly ( on the form ) and asked for a re assessment . I was asked to provide further information and then waited one day . Good news for me I guess , as I was informed the knives would be forwarded to Oz Post for delivery .

It looks like importing from overseas is going to be a hazardous venture ..
Fixed blade , lock backs , friction locks should be safe from seizure ... So I post this to let people know that it looks like directives have changed .

I saw on the News that Knife Crime was up , so this may be a response to Retards running around with knives !
Can't blame the Gov for trying to do something about knife crime , but not sure this is going to help ? Cos stupid people will just do stupid things !
So until they deal with Stupid ! ( Stupid is as stupid does ) We are going to have problems .

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This seems to come around every now and then, and it appears to come down to interpretation (as already alluded to).
I'd even speculate there's been a change of management, and the new person is doing their thing.
They docs are dated August 2012, so no real change to the law.

There's many a thread on this over on Australian Blade Forums, repeating these same themes ...
https://www.australianbladeforums.info/

Too many links to post here. I'd suggest a search of assisted openers, knife laws, etc, and you'll see it goes back a good ten years.

Last edited:

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I saw something over a year ago that was supposed to put an end to this on a Gov website .
And many a knife since then has been inspected ,, I wonder if it was cos there were two knives ?

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
_IGP2031.JPG

Offenders pictures posted !
Ok , came in the post today !

First thing I did was to try and gravity open both ..
Which they did ..
Offence = Soft Locks / I hate soft locks ....
This is possibly a manufacturing / assembly issue .. ?

Anyways , I hate soft locks :

Knife on the left was dis assembled .
Liner lock bent inward to increase pressure on the blade .
An issue I saw was the only partial engagement between the lock and blade
By bending the liner lock we also shorten it
Two problems solved
Now have proper lock engagement
And ( very ) serious tension holding the blade in the handle . ( I mean serious tension )

Manufacturing / assembly errors ?

Knife on the right is a forward flipper ( I hate forward flippers )
I had no idea what so ever it was a forward flipper from the add ..
And it's not a good FF knife .. If you use the thumb stud , the FF tab hits your index finger ...
It's essentially a two stage opener , partially open the knife ... Shift your hand and complete the operation .

Knife was disassembled
Liner lock bent
This knife also suffered from only partial engagement ..
Which was corrected by bending the liner lock inward .

Again , Manufacturing / assembly errors ?

I cant grind the FF tab off , as it is used to index the knife open on the lock pin in the handle . ( A shame )

Anyways , the Soft Lock 's have been eliminated .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
AFAIK and I am not a lawyer, all one-handed non assisted knives are legal to import to all states in Australia. Forget about any assisted knives, so anything with a spring that assists opening won't be allowed in.

The import laws (again AFAIK) haven't changed substantially as far as an import for one-handed opers for several years.

If you are worried about it just buy in-country though that can be a financial problem (usually increases the price) or many knives aren't available locally.

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Didn'y stop me getting a seizure notice for two Automatics ..
I thought they had knocked this gravity nonsense on the head ...
Still , stuff happens ..

Does not change the fact I hate soft locks .. Legality aside .
Any knife I get with a soft lock , gets adjusted .

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Don't forget that customs agents aren't taught what the schedules actually mean. Knife with a thumb stud? The thumb stud is a button you push to open the blade, therefore it counts as a switchblade or automatic opening knife.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I had one confiscated a few years ago. It was from gearbest or fasttech; a ganzo flipper. It wasn't illegal. If I had of reacted on time, officially, I feel I would have got it.

I've bought a fair few :oops: from whitemountain without any issue. From what I understand, that seems to be the pattern for others in Canada and here; anything from retailers like whitemountain are not a problem. The youtube dude "canadian cutting edge" is always whinging about customs, but has no trouble for stock from whitemountain.