Knife Laws NSW .

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I live up here in Townsville QLD and have read the legislation on QLD knife laws . I have noticed on the CLeaver GUN shop website that Their Cold Steel knives carry warnings That most knives are prohibited in NSW. I presumed that as most blades lock , this is the reason they are prohibited.
I went searching for NSW legislation on knife laws and read the Official government and police documents . Of all the prohibited items ,I could not find a clause which prohibits folding knives that lock when opened. Gravity , assisted opening , assisted closing , butterfly, palm, star , were all mentioned , but no locking . Would anyone have more information in regards to these laws and any reference to official documents. Cheers

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I live up here in Townsville QLD and have read the legislation on QLD knife laws . I have noticed on the CLeaver GUN shop website that Their Cold Steel knives carry warnings That most knives are prohibited in NSW. I presumed that as most blades lock , this is the reason they are prohibited.
I went searching for NSW legislation on knife laws and read the Official government and police documents . Of all the prohibited items ,I could not find a clause which prohibits folding knives that lock when opened. Gravity , assisted opening , assisted closing , butterfly, palm, star , were all mentioned , but no locking . Would anyone have more information in regards to these laws and any reference to official documents. Cheers
This is all to do with our government's so called public safety measures, in reality I think it is actually all about government safety, not the public. It is illegal to own certain firearms now, certain firearms were confiscated in so called "buy backs". Knives in general are banned in public unless you have a good reason for carrying one, such as a part of your trade or occupation. It is illegal to purchase, own or use anything specifically intended for self defence in home invasions or on the streets. These laws are obviously not about public safety, this is putting the Australian public at risk.
I think this has more to do with Australia becoming uninhabitable from global warming climate change. Sooner or later, these protests & demonstrations on the streets are going to turn violent. I have to admit though I am of two minds on what is going to happen, because in general the Australian people are extremely apathetic. But it is possible that when global warming gets really bad, that we could see a revolution. Of course by that time it will be too late to stop global warming, & with the coming teotwawki, we are going to need all the guns & blades we can lay our hands on!
Personally I am looking for somewhere else to move my family to before Australia becomes uninhabitable. But with global warming effecting the whole world in one way or another, it is difficult to say at this stage where to go. Hopefully somewhere with less gun & knife restrictions, but NOT the US!!!
Keith.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Barra Cleavers policy on not shipping folding knives to NSW is a strange one and not based on any legislations that I am aware of.

AFAIK the knives in question are perfectly legal to own and import to NSW and yet Cleavers won't ship them to NSW.

I think Cleavers got caught out previously and so they are a hyper sensitive at the moment and so just made a blanket statement "no CS folders shipped to NSW" just to be safe and save any potential hassels.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
This is all to do with our government's so called public safety measures, in reality I think it is actually all about government safety, not the public. It is illegal to own certain firearms now, certain firearms were confiscated in so called "buy backs". Knives in general are banned in public unless you have a good reason for carrying one, such as a part of your trade or occupation. It is illegal to purchase, own or use anything specifically intended for self defence in home invasions or on the streets. These laws are obviously not about public safety, this is putting the Australian public at risk.
I think this has more to do with Australia becoming uninhabitable from global warming climate change. Sooner or later, these protests & demonstrations on the streets are going to turn violent. I have to admit though I am of two minds on what is going to happen, because in general the Australian people are extremely apathetic. But it is possible that when global warming gets really bad, that we could see a revolution. Of course by that time it will be too late to stop global warming, & with the coming teotwawki, we are going to need all the guns & blades we can lay our hands on!
Personally I am looking for somewhere else to move my family to before Australia becomes uninhabitable. But with global warming effecting the whole world in one way or another, it is difficult to say at this stage where to go. Hopefully somewhere with less gun & knife restrictions, but NOT the US!!!
Keith.
Maybe the World War we have this century will take our minds off climate change .

Bushdoc

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Check Gov website, weapons act.
In Qld, ok to carry SAK for utility purposes, but not in a school.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Barra Cleavers policy on not shipping folding knives to NSW is a strange one and not based on any legislations that I am aware of.

AFAIK the knives in question are perfectly legal to own and import to NSW and yet Cleavers won't ship them to NSW.

I think Cleavers got caught out previously and so they are a hyper sensitive at the moment and so just made a blanket statement "no CS folders shipped to NSW" just to be safe and save any potential hassels.
I suppose I was more concerned that if I drove down to NSW and had lockable folders in my vehicle , I would have an illegal item. As bushcraft and knife enthusiasts , I reckon we know what not to carry down to the local shopping mall . Thanks.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I live in a rural area and have walked about with non locking SAK in a leather pouch on my belt with no problems. But then I am not starting punch ups in the local pub.

Have carried some locking folders about in the car when going to camps or farms. So far nothing has happened but then have not been stopped and searched by the cops so don't know what would happen if they were seen.

Same goes for sheath knives, again only carry these knives when am going to a legitimate activity as already outlined.

Would not take these knives to Sydney or suburbs as there could be some awkward questions asked if pulled over for some reason.

In country areas pretty safe I think unless you do something stupid.