BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knife Giveaway - sharp things looking for a good home

chris larrikin

Les Stroud
Reaction score
First - mods if I have posted this in the wrong place (oops!) feel free to move it.

I am a newcomer to this forum but I have already learned a lot, chatted with some great people and generally had a very friendly reception here. So I wanted to say thanks and maybe we can have some fun at the same time.

I am looking to give away one of two knives.

The winner can either keep and use it or give it to someone else who will use it.

The first is a brand new Swedish Fire Knife (black) made by Mora and incorporating a Light My Fire ferro rod. I picked two up on sale, use one and kept this one for just such a purpose as this. It's still in its packaging and screaming to get out and be used. It would be a great starter knife or a good backup or lighter use knife (bad pun intended).

Wdy4Lfe.jpg

The second knife was hand made by a relatively new maker over in the US. The handles are micarta and the blade is ATS-34. The heat treat was done by Bos, which the knife gurus here will know as one of the best knife heat treating companies in the world. The maker was inexperienced so the grinding is a little rough. I have sharpened it and did a little test cutting in the process. Other than that it is unused. It comes with a basic kydex sheath but would no doubt appreciate being dressed in leather. This one would be great for anyone who wants to have something with a handmade feel. ATS-34 is a solid performing stainless steel so it would also be great for anyone in a wet or humid environment. I have to say I really like this knife.

HfdgQ4U.jpg

Entry is open to anyone who is at least 18 years old. I will cover shipping in Australia. To enter, just post on this thread, state which of the two knives you would like, and include either:
- a photo of your bushcraft handiwork (either success or failure is good). Bonus points for food photos and anything that gets a laugh.
- a bushcraft or camping-related story or anecdote from personal experience.
- a scenery photo
- a joke
- or anything else which might bring a smile to someone's face.

I will let it run for a while (probably a couple of weeks ) before I pick a winner.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Great comp,thanks mate..You need to post a pic or two

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Me showing some mates a bit of local bush tucker..The famous bush banana tree..(Musa sapientum fixa bush)
12038375_10153287158439601_3755836012282431443_n.jpg

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Chris a very generous gesture - nice knives - and I hope they go to someone deserving.
This is not an entry ... I have plenty of sharp things ... just wanted to kick the thread along.
This is my tree planting buddy/helper Toby
DSCN3450.jpg

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Hi Chris, thanks for a generous and entertaining idea for the competition.

Both the knives look like great choices; as much as I'd love the Mora, I choose the second knife because I have a couple of similar Moras.

As a keen photographer there's a lot I had to choose from, but in the end I chose this video of myself with my son in law making damper, because it hits a few of the points that you asked for. :)

[video=youtube;q865GulY6DM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q865GulY6DM[/video]

chris larrikin

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Awesome start guys. Thanks for getting involved.
That looks like a delicious damper Greatbloke. Glad you are teaching the importance of hand hygiene :D

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very generous mate! I won't enter (got enough sharpies to keep me in strife) but I'll try muster up some pics.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Chris, Great idea for a comp and a couple of great knives too. Many thanks

Now I'll go and think up something .... hhmmmm ! :linguino:

remember-the-mount-bread

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hey Chris, thanks for a great comp idea man. This entry is for the second hand made knife, and will take the form of a little yarn I've got to share. About six months ago I went on a week long camp out with a group of me lads, not all of whom were so hot on the idea of forgoing modern conveniences in favour of "going bush". One such of my group members was very vocal about his distaste for camping all week long, and was pretty pumped in his own way to get out of dodge so to speak. So Friday morning came around, with me, another mate and this particular character, let's call him Alec all bunking in a tent together on Thursday night. About 0530 on Friday morning I hear the tent inner unzip, no big deal I figure, Alec probably just needs to take a whiz. Then his kit under the fly starts rustling around, no biggie, he probably wants a torch or some such out of his bag. But the fly doesn't unzip, and his kit doesn't stop rustling. Now I'm starting to worry, he could be doing anything, as I said, he's a bit of an oddball. And then his kit stops rustling, and the fly unzips and rezips. I'm still on guard now, but I'm not forsaking the warmness of my bedroll to investigate his comings and goings. And then I notice that his bedroll is gone. Oh no. And then the tent inner falls in on top of me and its other occupant. After much shouting, entanglement, unzipping, and general confusion, we eventually make it out into the early sun rays of a bright Friday from the canvas jaws of our newly-pole-less-tent. As it turns out, Alec was so pumped at the prospect of beating his retreat out from inna-woods and back to civilisation, that he decided to streamline the packing up process, by taking the poles out of the tent after he had his stuff out of it, unfortunately forgetting its two other occupants in the process.
Hopefully this story gives you lads as much of a kick reading as it does me re-telling.
Aidan

chris larrikin

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey Chris, thanks for a great comp idea man. This entry is for the second hand made knife, and will take the form of a little yarn I've got to share.
Hopefully this story gives you lads as much of a kick reading as it does me re-telling.
Aidan

HA! That is kind of hilarious. I suspect most people have a friend like that :)

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I have more knives than I'll ever need so I'm out for the comp but here's a pic anyway :)

img00521h.jpg

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a really generous gesture Chris! Looking forward to seeing all of the pics.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Oooohh that is VERY nice. I'm bloody jealous because I am stuck behind a desk staring at spreadsheets on a computer.

Sorry to here that mate,thanks for the comp!! I am in it to win it as they say,one more bushcrafty pic..20150625_1568.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
What a beaut comp. That custom is a winner for sure !

MY BOILED EGG :

I haven't been able to get far, but I did go for a walk by the river, down by the old Aplhington Swimming Pool:

I setup on a small sandbank. No fires, but I built a small metho stove specially for this trip ! (This is my favourite design.)

The Yarra at this point is not potable, its "inner city", so I bought water with me; plus some salt and an egg (which I packed in a small tub with some newspaper):
20150927_175256 (Small).jpg (By the way, here's the comp winning shot :_risata: )

I put the egg in the water when it was cold. Then boiled it for 10 minutes (ie hard boiled. 3 - 5 minutes will give a soft boiled egg if you prefer it that way):
20150927_180341 (Small).jpg

I didn't have an egg cup, so picked some tall grasses and tied a simple overhand knot to form a "nest" of sorts. I used that as an egg cup to hold and shell the hot egg:
20150927_181458 (Small).jpg

A little freshly ground salt. Yum:
20150927_181825 (Small).jpg