BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knife; cheap, tough, small, light.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This knife has reasonable steel and is really a good price. Knife geometry for everyday use is usually a compromise between slicing, edge retention and toughness. This one, because of the slim height of the blade isn't going to be a great slicer. It is also fairly thick behind the edge - all this suggests a fairly tough knife.

It is a front flipper. People with knives tend to migrate to front flippers (as do I). If you want an easy life and trouble free, consistent opening, a back flipper is really the way to go. Using a front flipper is enjoyable if you enjoy learning a new skill - most people seem to.

Whitemountain knives is a US store but has reasonable prices for shipping. In A$ it is approx. $44.00. As usual lots of 10% discounts - LTK will work. I usually buy 2 knives at a time to make the most of shipping - and whitemountain has a huge selection and great prices.

A good (honest) review here.

vazo.jpg

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
An easy 2nd bushcraft knife recommendation, also cheap, tough, small is the Ganzo FH61.

This is a sub 3" blade, but heavy and solid. The beauty of this blade shape is if you are cutting or working on something that is sitting on a flat surface; using the front part of the blade you can cut down to the surface freely while your knife hand is clear of the surface. It is a hard use knife - I made a baton out of an incredibly hard wood with this (and an axe).

ganzo fh61.jpg