BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kershaw Highball XL

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
_IGP1689.JPG
_IGP1687.JPG
_IGP1686.JPG

Wow!
I saw this a few days ago , and was wondering - How did this fly under my radar ?
From a styling perspective ( looks ) , the highball ticks all my boxes .

First Impressions :

The knife feels like it's about the right size for a folder , also an appropriate weight for it's size and presence .
Walk N talk is excellent .
The blade runs on a BB pivot , making it smooth .
The clip does not feel overly intrusive and comes off easy enough .
There is enough weight for the knife not to go un noticed in the pocket , unless you use the clip .
The knife is ticking a lot of boxes , except for the frame lock tension or lack there off !

Warning :

The knife is GLUED shut ! So if you want to re tension the frame lock ? You need to disassemble the knife .
This means dealing with the glued screws .
There is a plastic frame spacer at the back of the knife , use to much heat ( I used heat ) to break the glue and you may melt the spacer .
I BBQ'ed the spacer a little as I really wanted a knife that does not gravity open .
And even with heat applied , those screws were BOSS tight . ( good glue )

With the frame lock tightened , there is little to complain about ( pre edge retention test ) .

Making the Purchase :

The Kershaw Highball XL runs around $55 USD as a starting price + Postage to around $80 USD + Postage .
Here in Australia you are looking at around $100 to $120 + Postage ... ( AUS dollar )
Except for one place I found ( Xhunter ) , where I was able to pick it up just under $90 AUS bananas .
55 USD is around 76 AUS bananas currently for a comparison and 80 USD is around 110 AUS bananas ...
I can buy a decent D2 knife from around 50 bananas ( Import ) , so I am really looking forward to seeing how the Highball performs on the rope ( edge holding ) .
Is it all looks and no go , or does it have some giddy up (?) .

Last edited:

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
_IGP1690.JPG
_IGP1691.JPG

This is getting toward the tail end of re grinding the bevel .
50% of the blade is still FUBAR ( Towards the handle )
Butt .... I really wanted to clean up the blade where I slice rope .

Kershaw Highball XL Does it get the award for the worst FACTORY bevel I have seen for 2021 ?
It was horrendously ground . And for such a small blade , I spent a good hour grinding and 50% is still FUBAR ..
That wet stone grinder is both a blessing and a curse !
Curse in the sense it shows just how rubbish a bevel can be = And then I have to clean it up .
Factory edge put to the rope shortly ! ( Edit video )

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score

Factory ( FUBAR ) edge at the rope ... ( FUBAR Bevel of the year award ? )

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score

I was afraid of it !
Pay $$ for a knife , and get ripped a new one ...
This knife is supposed to be D2 Tool Steel , not Butter Steel ...
After some 200 slices on the re ground edge , the knife was struggling badly .
I was very generous and took it to 250 slices ...

Call it a 200 slice fail or a 250 slice fail ...
The Kershaw Highball XL failed to live up to the D2 hype !
Decent D2 falls into the 400 slice range , NOT the 200 slice range ! Unless of course it's BAD D2 ... Or maybe not D2 at all ? ( Like that has never happened ) .

So ? ......... What to say about the performance ?

The Highball is simply a Overpriced / Underperforming knife ! ( For me )
Putting the Highball to the guided knife sharpener and the diamond sharpener ...... The steel is soft for D2 ...

Soft blade material , terrible factory grind , poor edge retention , seriously overpriced for what you get ! ( Such is my opinion after testing the Highball )

The knife is all looks !

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
That’s a shame mate.
Just cos you pay , don't mean you get good performance ..
Buying a knife is like buying a lottery ticket , you might win / lose / or break even ...
Worst of all is when a cheap knife kicks a more expensive knife to the curb ..

One has to wonder , why buy anything but cheap knives ( sometimes )
But 2020/21 , has proven to me that money dont mean squat when it comes to knives ..
Almost all the pricey folders have disappointed with poor to terrible performance .

It would be nice if - The more you payed = the more you get
Rather than - The more you pay = The larger the RIP !

This is why most knife reviews out there BLOW !
No repeatable performance testing .. ( or no testing at all ) Just look at the knife , fidget the knife , and call it great !
And why I wanted to test this one ...

Last edited: