Keesteel axe head

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
PXL_20201122_075050040_copy_756x1008.jpgFound this today, in a pile of stuff a neighbour had put out with a big sign saying free.
PXL_20201122_075113234_copy_756x1008.jpg

It's a bit easier to read in the hand. There's a crack running down the poll, but I can find a welder to fix that, and the edge definitely needs some work but really can't complain.
PXL_20201122_075058470_copy_756x1008.jpg

After a quick search I've seen these called washboard axes, but not found much more yet. Anyone know about these axes?

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
On reflection I might sell this, considering I've got plenty of other things to work on, and I'm not sure I'd use it much.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
On reflection I might sell this, considering I've got plenty of other things to work on, and I'm not sure I'd use it much.
You could leave it in something to get rid of the rust if you're not selling it soon. I don't use my axes much, but it is satisfying when I do, and I think it is a good skill. You obviously have some appreciation for an old axe - me, I'm a philistine and would buy something with a handle that is nearly indestructible and cheap, if I hadn't inherited an abused cheapy.

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
You could leave it in something to get rid of the rust if you're not selling it soon. I don't use my axes much, but it is satisfying when I do, and I think it is a good skill. You obviously have some appreciation for an old axe - me, I'm a philistine and would buy something with a handle that is nearly indestructible and cheap, if I hadn't inherited an abused cheapy.
I do appreciate an old axe but I've got more projects than time, and once this is done up I probably wouldn't use it much as I have other axes I'd use instead. I'll give it a soak in some vinegar either way to clean it up a bit.