Karrimor SF Sabre 45 review

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Here you go guys a review of the ubove mentioned bergen.
Took it for a comfort test run yesterday and can say it is a comfy bit of kit.

[video=youtube;aVdoP38ehlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVdoP38ehlU[/video]

Enjoy

Swampy

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Then treat yourself man. You dont want to be the richest man in the graveyard but you can be the best equiped.

Bushman Ben

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hehe. I have a man corner now too! Since moving I haven't quite got all my kit in there yet, but the vast majority of it is Camping and Wood working tools.

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
thanks for the great and funny vid Swampy...
like how the cat wanted it's 2min of fame..

curious with the talcum power bag.. jso just fill the bag and put your foot in it ?? to keep it dry..

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Terrific review mate. Really really informative and clear.

Ive got the 60-100 sabre and love it. Got mine from the UK also. I agree with everything you say. Heavier pack but the design features and the way it carries the weight makes up for it completely i feel.

I also enjoyed your kit. Really well thought out, good coverage and still minimal. I might have to steal a few ideas from it. :non sono stato io:

Detailed photos of the 60-100 here (dont mean to hijack mate, just to add to the thread ): http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showt...re-advice-needed&p=11954&viewfull=1#post11954

Last edited:

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
thanks for the great and funny vid Swampy...
like how the cat wanted it's 2min of fame..

curious with the talcum power bag.. jso just fill the bag and put your foot in it ?? to keep it dry..
Yeah it is in a medium size dry bag and I just emptied 600g of baby talc in it. then put that inside a smaller dry bag to just make sure it stays dry. As said wash and dry feet then place foot in bag and hold tight around ankle and shake the whoe foot gets a good powder and you dont end up squirting most of your talc on the floor. Dont know about trying it with your nuts though but it could be funny to try.

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
when you mentioned about using it on your nuts in the vid.. I had the image of putting your boys in then jumping around.. just to make sure power was everywhere.. lol

Redrighthand

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Swampy, thanks for that review. Looks ideal to me for weekend hikes - which is what I want to start doing, soon. Tell me, which other packs made the short list, and what clinched the decision for you?

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Swampy, thanks for that review. Looks ideal to me for weekend hikes - which is what I want to start doing, soon. Tell me, which other packs made the short list, and what clinched the decision for you?
The clincher was the fact that it is a 45lt bag but has the capability to expand with the PLCE rocket packs on the side.
As I said I already have the the berghaus Munro but that is only 35lt I also looked a the centrino by the same company but what I didn't like is that they have made the zips upside down so if you try to put on the PLCE rocket packs they will be upside down so you have to buy there packs for it extra. To me that is not fair and it is just so they can make more money off you and you are then committed to using there system. Plus I like the Karrimor shoulder and back system it seems to be more comfy. I did look at some civilian makes from North Face and Osprey but the material looked like it would just rip on a wait-a-while vine and the karrimor and Berghaus both have a military pedigree so are tough if not light and the robustness of the make is more important than the weight to me.

Hope that helps.

Redrighthand

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Certainly does help, thanks. One last question: Is the harness adjustable for size? I'm thinking of getting two of them, one for me, one for my (rather shorter) wife. Thoughts?

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
No. But saying that it does have straps at teh shoulders which you can loosen off if you need it to ride higher a few inches. But the main straps are fixed to the back.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have one of these with the rocket side packs and it is fantastic. My only gripe really is the lack of a sleeping bag zip and seperator at the bottom of the pack. Something both my Osprey Atmos and Berghaus Arete have.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have one of these with the rocket side packs and it is fantastic. My only gripe really is the lack of a sleeping bag zip and seperator at the bottom of the pack. Something both my Osprey Atmos and Berghaus Arete have.
I see your point on that but as I have experienced over the years with many different bergens it all comes down to the KISS therory. If there is to much on it to break then it will break I once had a clam shell style bergen that had one zip all around the sides and top so once undone it could be opened out and easy to pack. But if that zip failes and it did then the bergen was shagged and could not be used plus it would of cost loads to repair. so with the sleeping bag compartment zip was to fail then you have a compartment that is not fit for use. this is why I didn't get the Sabre 60-110 as that had the same possible fail point. now with the 45 and 75 being a single bucket style bag the only thinkg to fail is the stitching and that can be repaired in the field with a speedy stitcher ( http://fusiongear.com.au/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl-repair-tool-kit-p-216.html ) which I have used after a bergen got damaged by luggage monkeys at brisbane airport. So KISS.

Swampy

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I see your point on that but as I have experienced over the years with many different bergens it all comes down to the KISS therory. If there is to much on it to break then it will break I once had a clam shell style bergen that had one zip all around the sides and top so once undone it could be opened out and easy to pack. But if that zip failes and it did then the bergen was shagged and could not be used plus it would of cost loads to repair. so with the sleeping bag compartment zip was to fail then you have a compartment that is not fit for use. this is why I didn't get the Sabre 60-110 as that had the same possible fail point. now with the 45 and 75 being a single bucket style bag the only thinkg to fail is the stitching and that can be repaired in the field with a speedy stitcher ( http://fusiongear.com.au/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl-repair-tool-kit-p-216.html ) which I have used after a bergen got damaged by luggage monkeys at brisbane airport. So KISS.

Swampy

A fair point.

Although if the build quality of the Karrimor is anything like the quality of the Berghaus (Which I have abused for around 4.5 years) then I would ask the question.......at what point do we draw the line when sacrificing features purely due to fear of our gear failing? Isnt that why we buy gear like Karrimor and not the cheapest knockoff we can find in Anaconda? A couple of good compression straps take most of the weight from a lower zip.

It is a fantastic pack, I would recommend it highly

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
A fair point.

Although if the build quality of the Karrimor is anything like the quality of the Berghaus (Which I have abused for around 4.5 years) then I would ask the question.......at what point do we draw the line when sacrificing features purely due to fear of our gear failing? Isnt that why we buy gear like Karrimor and not the cheapest knockoff we can find in Anaconda? A couple of good compression straps take most of the weight from a lower zip.

It is a fantastic pack, I would recommend it highly
Fair point.

But youll still find now that even Karrimor are getting there stuff made in china as it is cheaper and they make more profit so why take the risk of it failing. I know what you are talking about Ive had kit that has lasted years with loads of abuse but Ive also had new stuff fail from the start.

Redrighthand

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I'm with Swampy on this. I used to have a good, simple 70l hiking pack, that I lived out of for about a year when backpacking. Best thing I could have bought. My girlfriend (at the time, now my wife :) ) had bought (on my advice, sadly) a "travel pack" with compartments and zips all over the place. It didn't fail, but we ended up finding it harder to pack than the single sack design. Go figure. And the unit that was designed to be used purely as a hiking pack was much more comfortable than the other design, too. (bought it after getting the hers, and had a good sales person advise me on the purchase.)