Kanangra to Katoomba hike

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hiked the 45km K2K track with three friends about a month ago - just getting round to catching up with BCOz threads and posting some pics.

We caught the train from Sydney to Katoomba, then shared a cab to Kanangra which was quite reasonable between 4 of us. Camped at the start of the trail that night, and at Dex Creek and Mobbs Swamp along the way. We walked three days to Tarro's ladders at the end of Narrow Neck, which meant a bit of pack hauling for us, and on to Katoomba and the train home.

Best gear award for the trip goes to my friend's MSR Guardian water filter - 0.02 µ filter, removed all traces of odour and colour from water we found in a stagnant pool at the second campsite, which smelt like a well-advanced compost heap.

IMG_8580.jpg

IMG_8586.jpg

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8605.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8713.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg

IMG_8739.jpg

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Great pics! Looks like a fantastic trip. What was your pack weight?

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Pack weight was just over 20kg with 2 L water. I save weight on some things which allows me to include other luxuries, so I'd never be considered an ultra light hiker. We were able to share cooking equipment and tents which helped.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
What a glorious trek which I did many years ago with a bushwalking club. The photos bring back many memories, gear has changed like the MSR stove one of the fellows is using. Chuffa stoves (mine is still going strong) were the rage back then and interesting to see the current generation tents and other gear.

Remember the rusty old chains and spikes at Carlons Head ??? when we did our walk. They were so dodgy we elected to use them to get up unladen and then hauled the heavy packs up with a rope.

That was in the day of Paddy Pallin Explorer and similar rucksacks.

A truely memorable walk and congratulations on your successful trip.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
(y)
Back in the 80's/90's as a Bushwalking Club member we did those area extensively - the 'Three Peaks' from Kanangra to Katoomba, and, Mittagong to Katoomba et al. Great areas. Most of the major creeks and a few of the rivers have potable water not needing filtering/sterilising, but, when the water looks and tastes like compost, yep, it's time to do something other than boiling it!

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The Three Peaks and Mittagong to Katoomba are still the classic hard walks today. Must see about getting one of those MSR water filters as boiling can take long time. The only water preparation I have done is with a clean linen cloth to remove most of the grunge and then a quick boil.

With the drought many creeks are rather low and water quality can be dubious at times, it is a pain having to carry loads of water in a pack.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I just got a Sawyer Mini off Flea Bay for about $30 landed. Haven't got to use it in anger yet but I have had a Sawyer Squeeze for a few years and that has worked well. Biggest selling point for me is the long lifespan if you look after it. It far exceeds most other filters out there.
Cheers
Bloffy