Jerky Recipes and Techniques, please share...

Rabbitguts

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Looking forward to making some jerky for the first time, does any one care to share. thanks

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I use corned beef from the butcher. The salt that is through out it helps it to dry out evenly.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used roo from the supermarket. Its very lean and the gameyness add to the flavour.

SafferDownUnder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
There's a South African recipe for jerky called Biltong that seems like it'd be well suited to our fairly dry heat over in WA, but could be suitable for over East too.

I haven't tested it myself using natural drying, but I plan to. Usually I use a drying box with lights and such. :p

I can type the recipe out if you'd like?

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Looking forward to making some jerky for the first time, does any one care to share. thanks
Simplest method I've used it just add a fair bit of salt, then dry it. It's quite tasty without anything else added.

I also made some which was marinated in soy sauce, tomato sauce, garlic, chilli, and finely diced onion. That was really, really tasty. The problem is I kept eating it at home and much of it didn't make it to the bush.
A trick with a marinade like that is to heat it gently (I use the microwave) before using it, then let it cool, so the flavor of the onion and garlic infuse into the liquid. That's helpful because when you take it out of the marinade most of the onion and garlic chunks fall off.

I did manage to keep some to take to the bush and it's an awesome snack. The salt is really good when it comes to hydrating. It makes you thirsty so you can drink more water. And the salt helps your body absorb the water without resulting in water intoxication.

Unfortunately the time I had it in the bush I ended up running out of water, and becoming dehydrated. It made the salt less helpful, but I still enjoyed eating it.
I couldn't find a way to the river so I had to bail out of that trip.
When I trekked to the camp site about 10km or more away I ended up downing 3x750ml bottles of water in about 15 minutes. I think the salt from the jerky helped me drink it all without problems.

I use corned beef from the butcher. The salt that is through out it helps it to dry out evenly.
I tried using silverside from the supermarket. It was horrible, way too salty and had a weird taste. I'm guessing there were some preservatives in it which gave it the horrible flavor. Never again.
Getting it from the butcher is likely a way better idea because I'm guessing they'd leave out the preservatives.

I think if I cooked it (in boiling water) first then dried it I would have ended up with a nicer tasting jerky.
Or just get non-corned silverside and add your own salt, etc.

Last edited:

bear foot bowhunter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
there are a few recipe that use mince. chuck all the ingredients in a blender , ring out the moisture ( like paper mashe ) use a plastic bag ( like icing a cake ) and bake or use a food dryer . not the best to keep but the speed jerky go's around here its not a bad way to make it .

SafferDownUnder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Simplest method I've used it just add a fair bit of salt, then dry it. It's quite tasty without anything else added.
I can attest to that, it's pretty good without any other additives. It stays "fresh" for quite a while too. :D

I tried using silverside from the supermarket. It was horrible, way too salty and had a weird taste.
As you said, they're full of salts and other preservatives to make it look "fresh." Buying from a butcher would give you pretty good meat to use, plus usually if you buy in bulk from them you get a discount (very handy if you're buying >5kg).

I like your ideas for other flavours! I haven't tried chilli sauce, but I use vinegar, worcherstershire sauce, pepper and a bit of salt as a base. It's a bit out there, but it gives the jerky a bit of bite without it being too hot.

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I can type the recipe out if you'd like?
I'd like to know the recipe. I tried some store bought biltong a while back that someone gave me. It was horrible, I didn't even eat it all.
I'm sure home made would be way better.

It didn't seem completely dry. I like dry chewy jerky that I can chew on for a while. This stuff had the texture almost like jelly lollies.

there are a few recipe that use mince. chuck all the ingredients in a blender , ring out the moisture ( like paper mashe ) use a plastic bag ( like icing a cake ) and bake or use a food dryer .
I've never tried it with mince.
I bought some bulk cheap mince today. This cheap mince is good for some meals because it contains more fat (ie. more flavor) than premium mince, but that'll probably make it less ideal for jerky because you want something lean. I also think they add water to the cheap mince to add weight. The moment you cook it you see the water coming out of it. Might hinder the drying process, or at least slow it down.
Still, I think I need to give that a shot. Thanks for the idea.

not the best to keep but the speed jerky go's around here its not a bad way to make it .
Yeah I think rapid jerky is a great thing to know how to make. You can make it in a night (maybe even a few hours), so you don't need to be in one place for too long. And it's not going to need to last more than a few days for me because I'll have eaten it by then.

Last edited:

SafferDownUnder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Well... It's not exactly a hard recipe. Very similar to most jerky recipes.

BILTONG:

Ingredients:
  • At least 1kg of meat, gives you a good yield
  • Steak spice
  • Brown/malt vinegar
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Cracked black pepper
  • Salt
  1. Find a nice sized tupperware container. (if doing this in the bush, just rub the spices on to the meat. Disregard all the prep.)
  2. Cut the meat down to the length of the tupperware. Lay one layer down.
  3. Using a spray bottle, spray some vinegar over the meat, then sprinkle spice and the Worcester sauce over it.
  4. Adding layers of meat, repeat the spicing steps until you run out of meat. Leave for at least an hour, but it's best overnight.
  5. Find a warm, dry area to hang the meat. Ideally, this should be insect proof (for obvious reasons), but if you're at a campsite, you could easily rig something up Make sure there's space between the meat to ensure even drying.
  6. Bare minimum drying time is 1 day, but the meat will still be quite "wet" at this point. Best time is about 3 days at a 30 degree average temperature.
  7. Spray periodically through the drying stage with vinegar to repel flies and mold that might want to grow. (Never happens, but can never be too careful.)
  8. Enjoy!

Obviously you can add chilli powder, or different spices for different tastes. It's quite enjoyable to go through and taste different recipes. Plain salt and pepper biltong can never go wrong! Slice thinly with your (undoubtedly) sharp knife, or cut into rough little strips. Store out of sunlight, and it should keep for quite a while. :)

Verge

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Giving this ago - for the second time. Meat is yearling Beef, looks pretty lean. Sourced from when I found a supply of Suet.
Cut a bit thick from the butcher 5mm+ so handy with the wood mallet and a plastic bag to thin it down to less than 5mm
Trying this out in the dehydrator today. Kicked off at 11am and now 4:30pm, it's still bendy, but thinner pieces are starting to get a slight crack. I want to dry the meat thoroughly for pemmican and essentially powder it.
Jerky.jpg

Rubbing Elbows

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I follow this guys recipe. An absolute treat.

[video=youtube_share;jDVo0XW2GOM]https://youtu.be/jDVo0XW2GOM[/video]

I don't own a dehydrator, and this works so well. I've made it several times and hasn't failed me. The silver-side costs me $13.99/kg from my butcher with no fat and makes a decent serve.

See a couple of pics below as my latest batch was drying out.

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

Rubbing Elbows

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I follow this guys recipe. An absolute treat.

Looks tasty. How do you store yours after you have made it - and what kind of shelf life does it have?
I store it in brown paper bags in the fridge for up to a week(1 kilogram usually goes in a week) or if you're more controlled and tend to keep it for longer than a week, then a sealed glass jar will do the trick for a few months