Jaffle Irons

KingsthorpeDavid

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Anybody use Jaffle Irons in the bush?
I carry 4 in our campervan along with my Aussie Bush Kettle and a couple of Lodge camp ovens.
Have a collection of vintage Jaffle Irons seen in part below:
Jaffle Irons.jpg

But my preference is for Rome Pie Irons as the Americans call them, I own most of their cast iron products listed at:
http://www.romeindustries.com/pieirons.htm

KD

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
We use the square jaffle iron, I had no idea that it was 'Australian' style.
I like the 3 in one go on the right of your pic, good for families.
Thanks for the link KD.
Historically, when were jaffle irons first used, before sliced bread?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I love your collection, we have a side-by-side (double) square iron.

What are your favourite fillings ?

Cheese, bacon or ham, thin sliced onion and tomato and chilli sauce is about all I ever do ...

KingsthorpeDavid

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I love your collection, we have a side-by-side (double) square iron.

What are your favourite fillings ?

Cheese, bacon or ham, thin sliced onion and tomato and chilli sauce is about all I ever do ...
When on the trail it is usually the basic ham, cheese, tomato for breakfast.
The picture shows less than a 1/4 of my collection.
My favourite is the Rome Panini iron, this does not crimp the edges as the bread is inside and Lawson's sliced bread is a perfect fit.
A new Furphy Jaffle Iron is at extreme left of picture, available in most camping shops, works well as very thick cast iron. See:
KingthorpeDavid-1.jpg
This Furphy jaffle looks like a map of Oz!

KD

Last edited:

KingsthorpeDavid

Les Stroud
Reaction score
We use the square jaffle iron, I had no idea that it was 'Australian' style.
Historically, when were jaffle irons first used, before sliced bread?
Belgian waffle irons were the predecessors of all these sandwich or pie irons.
History: Medieval origins; The modern waffle has its origins in the wafers—very light thin crisp cakes baked between wafer irons—of the Middle Ages. Wafer irons consisted of two metal plates connected by a hinge, with each plate connected to an arm with a wooden handle. The iron was placed over a fire and flipped to cook both sides of the wafer. The irons were used to produce a variety of different flat, unleavened cakes, usually from a mixture of barley and oats, instead of the white flour used today.
From: Waffle. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Waffle&oldid=455541862

KingsthorpeDavid

Les Stroud
Reaction score
A few more!
Container006-1.jpg
I have a friend called Rastas who has a huge collection of Jaffle Irons, have advised him of this Forum and hope he joins.

KD

Last edited:

Rastas000

Russell Coight
Reaction score
"
A few more!
View attachment 5708
I have a friend called Rastas who has a huge collection of Jaffle Irons, have advised him of this Forum and hope he joins.

KD
Thanks for the heads up David...

For the record, I have a collection numbering over 100 jaffle/pie irons, of which, at last count there were 80+ that were unique make and model in the collection.

One of my tasks this year is to photograph them to catalogue them and when I do my web site course be able to present them on a site.

My current favourite filling is chicken or turkey, Brie, cranberry sauce/jelly and white pepper (or vege salt). But I am also partial to ANY leftover wet dish and even a slice of lasagne in a jaffle goes a treat!!

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hi Rastas,

Just wondering what would be the lightest version of the jaffle iron? I'm thinking backpacking here.

Hairy

KingsthorpeDavid

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi Rastas,

Just wondering what would be the lightest version of the jaffle iron? I'm thinking backpacking here.

Hairy
Suggest you consider the Diablo, but depends what you are cooking on as the Diable does not suit a campfire but is fine with a gas stove or house kitchen stove of any sort.
The Diable does NOT need the bread to be buttered on the outside, if you do butter it the results are soggy.
I bought one on eBay last night and I think the seller has more available. See:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190692961685&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:1123

KD

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
"
My current favourite filling is chicken or turkey, Brie, cranberry sauce/jelly and white pepper (or vege salt). But I am also partial to ANY leftover wet dish and even a slice of lasagne in a jaffle goes a treat!!
I like the sound of that - Yum.

Do post a thread when your web site when its up and going.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok KD and Rastas000 - since you two look like the experts. Would you (each?) recommend an iron for hiking and filling ?
... and anyone else who has any suggestions too ...

The iron would need to be light and compact, and suitable for fire use.
The filling should be able to be carried for a day (or two?) without spoiling and be relatively "light weight"

Thanks in advance

KingsthorpeDavid

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Ok KD and Rastas000 - since you two look like the experts. Would you (each?) recommend an iron for hiking and filling ?
... and anyone else who has any suggestions too ...

The iron would need to be light and compact, and suitable for fire use.
The filling should be able to be carried for a day (or two?) without spoiling and be relatively "light weight"

Thanks in advance
I would suggest a vintage alloy iron similar to this, the handles unscrew on most Jaffle Irons so it can be made more compact for your backpack if required:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-JAFFLE-IRON-PRESSURE-TOASTER-Camping-4WD-Hiking-stovetop-/180911818537?pt=AU_Homeware_Kitchenware&hash=item2a1f2f4729
The fresh fillings would be best non-meat, such as cheese, tomato and onion. But those small 95g tins of Tuna are handy for hiking.
The half size cans of Spam or Corned Beef is another option.
Rastas's fave is apple pie made with canned Pie Apples. For hiking a real apple could be carried and sliced up along with some cinnamon sugar.

KD

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Rastas's fave is apple pie made with canned Pie Apples. For hiking a real apple could be carried and sliced up along with some cinnamon sugar.
KD
I'll have to keep a lookout for an alloy iron (Already have a steel one). That ebay one does look nice ....

But the apple pie's peaked my interest ! I'm thinking it would be great with some uht cream ....