Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Microeca fascinans

Common Name: Jacky Winter

Order: Passeriformes

Family: Petroicidae

Other Names: Postsitter, aka Brown Flycatcher, but not closely related to other flycatchers

Distribution: Widely distributed in mainland Australia and SE PNG

Habitat: Temperate forests, Dry subtropical and tropical forests. Also found in shrubby vegeation in grassy areas.

Field Notes:
Tendency to sit in the open n stumps and posts gives this bird its other common name. Behaves much as a flycatcher, even wagging. Somewhat smaller than the restless flycatcher. Cup shaped nest of grass bound with spiders web.

Thanks to Hairyman for ID

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
in discussion with Hairyman, we are thinking this is a Jacky Winter, if you think other wise let me know.

[video=youtube_share;z6j-JLj0WMQ]http://youtu.be/z6j-JLj0WMQ[/video]

just to note, the bird is in the very middle of the video, bit hard to see till i move in .

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a link on this page which gives some sample calls:

http://www.graemechapman.com.au/library/viewphotos.php?c=294&pg=1

It does sound similar, but I'm no expert

... Jacky Winters have an attractive song which is mostly given from an outstanding perch, but sometimes also in a flight display. The simple song is a repeated two note phrase, likened by some people to "Peter - Peter - Peter", but it can also be more varied and complex. They are excellent mimics. (Listen on Sound Page).

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Aussie, ive listened to a few calls, the little Jacky Winters have a diverse song region to region, also with the ability to mimic makes it a bit harder.

I think the vid is a Jacky Winter.

The song is beautiful, he was in my yard most of the late afternoon calling. I did take two other videos with his song but the visualisation of him is not as good as the one above.

Mozz