BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Is this sea lettuce?

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Is this sea lettuce?

2014-09-24 15.35.09.jpg
2014-09-24 15.35.14.jpg
2014-09-24 15.35.22.jpg

The photos aren't great because I used my phone. (I tend to not want the weight of the big camera when I'm just going for a walk.)

I've never tried it but apparently it's meant to be pretty good.
Could be a good one to know if I start eating the seafood that is on the rocks there, like limpets.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
It bit hard to tell .... but yes.

If you put it in water it looks just like a slightly translucent lettuce leaf. When its dry, it "collapses" like in your photos

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. It does not have much flavour, more of a texture element.

It is very much like the seaweed you get in Japanese Miso. In fact if you like the seaweed in miso you'll love this.

You can eat it raw or cooked, doesn't seem to make much difference.

By far one of the better seaweeds to eat IMO

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Better off to chuck a hook in a bunch of it. Often where theres lettuce there's black drummer and luderick. Much better to eat one o them.

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yes. It does not have much flavour, more of a texture element.

I'm guessing also a nutritional element. Apparently many seaweeds are high in many vitamins and minerals, etc.
I might have to read up on the nutrition in sea lettuce.

I'm not sure if I want to eat the stuff on the rocks there, because they're below paddocks that have cows in them. This tends to result in a fair bit of nutrient and algae build up. But if I can find some in a spot where they're constantly being cleaned by waves, I think it wouldn't be a problem.

Better off to chuck a hook in a bunch of it. Often where theres lettuce there's black drummer and luderick. Much better to eat one o them.

Ah I'll try that next time I'm down there with my fishing gear. I've tried the oysters and the limpets as bait (no luck yet) but I've never tried sea lettuce.
I often take my mini fishing kit with me when I walk down there, in case I'm in the mood to cast a line in. That usually means I need to find bait on the rocks, as I can't fit lures into it, and I'm not always planning to go fishing (often just for a walk) so those times I don't bring bait with me.

I'll let you know if I catch anything with it.

Last edited: