Inland taipan spotted today (Australia's most deadly land snake)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
While looking for a campsite today I spotted Australia's most deadly (land) snake, the Inland Taipan. Apparently, if bitten death occurs in under 10 minutes! And that is if your're an athlete.

I have never seen one before. I apologise I did not get a chance to take a picture of him for you all. He was not big, but sizeable at about 3 feet long, but I am not sure how big they get. I am use to seeing King Browns, which can be huge. I guess size doesn't matter when you pack a punch like one of these. They can kill a horse. Easy.

Look on the bright side, at least when I am camping on the ground out here in a few days, at least I'll have some company :LOL:

He crossed the road and took refuge right in the middle of this natural refuge Island, as I got out of the car. Believe me he's in there!

(Photo for illustrative purposes)

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
What a rare find!

Is it? Are they rare? I didn't know.
I have definitely never seen one before, but I must say I am new to this country.
I am positive it was a Taipan though. It was sandy coloured. Quite amazing to be honest, more beautiful than a King Brown snake. I was no more than 4-5 meters from him when I got out of the car. My first thought was to see the snake, not grab the camera, sorry:rolleyes: But as I hurried to get the camera he sped up and hid in that Island. I approached the Island, but saw nothing. I figured it was time to get! Next time I will try move more slowly, but at the same time I didnt want him coming my way! If you know what I mean:)

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Supposedly not aggressive like other taipans. I knew it as the "fierce snake". It was thought to be extinct until it was re discovered in the 70's? And they live in a fairly small area I think, around the borders of SA, NT, Qld? Or SA, NSW, Qld? Something like that.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Steve Irwin gets a kiss from one. Probs best not to try this...
Eastern browns kill more people though.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Oh man, he was special :D. What a dude! Who else would do that? Really!

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Steve Irwin gets a kiss from one. Probs best not to try this...
Eastern browns kill more people though.

Yeah they do. A Taipan's venom can kill 100 men, but because they are so isolated, not many people out there to get bitten. Also, unlike the taipan I heard the brown snake keeps biting you, so it injects more venom. Nasty. OMG, that guy took a big risk! Great bloke though.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Yeah they do. A Taipan's venom can kill 100 men, but because they are so isolated, not many people out there to get bitten. Also, unlike the taipan I heard the brown snake keeps biting you, so it injects more venom. Nasty. OMG, that guy took a big risk! Great bloke though.
Isolated but also not aggressive.