Inflatable kayak advice

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I know there are some experienced kayakers on the forum and I would greatly value your advice.
The Commander has done some kayaking on the river and enjoys it, but when we looked at sit on kayaks, they were too heavy for her to lift on and off the car roof unaided, she's got a dodgy back.

We're thinking now about inflatable kayak, single seater, nothing flash for river/inshore use. Don't want to spend a fortune. I've had a look a t reviews on Google etc, but nothing beats speaking to people who know what they are talking about and what to look for.

Any advice great fully received and you'd be helping the missus escape from me for a few hours!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Anything to help that lovely, long-suffering wife of yours to escape you for a while would have to be a good thing. Even if they ARE cr4p, it's gotta be worth while..... lol. Lubs ya, mate.
The Seyvlor (hope that's the right spelling) has a good name but they can still be a bit heavy. You can get a paddle that can be split in half for packing away in the car.
That's all I've got. Soz....
Cheers
Bloffy

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have an Advanced Elements AdavancedFrame AE1012 inflatable kayak and love it though I don't use it as much as I'd like. It's better than any sit on top I've tried (not that I'm terribly experienced). They are however neither cheap nor light but getting it out of the boot may be easier than gettng it off the roof. Storage at home is a lot easier as well IMO.

It's not a sit on top but rather a sit in but I find it just as stable as any of the sit on tops I've used. I've used it around some of the bays we have in Sydney as well as numerous rivers. I have 3 friends who were so impressed with it they all bought one themselves as well, one mate even bought a single and two seater version.

If you have any questions just ask but I'm not a kayaking expert by any means so can only offer my own experience.

missingdna

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hobie do inflatable versions that use their mirage drive system...
another avenue is a fold up kayak... kinda like oragame

If loading/ unloading is the issue there are lots of devices and add ons that make getting the yak up and down easy.... one ive used in the past is the Hullavator....

Last edited:

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hadn't seen those Point 65 ones. I like the idea of having a tandem or single in the one unit.
I saw one of their promotional videos in which I think they went as far as a four person kayak. Only for very limited use on a very calm lake though. It was entertaining to watch.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Wow. So I looked into the price of those Point 65 modular kayaks. The tandem Martini GTX Angler is a touch over $3k. About $2k for the solo version. Not going to rule it out as I do like the idea and would like something larger for camping out of but it's certainly not going to happen in the near future or on impulse. My AdvancedElements was around the $900 mark delivered from the US with optional lumbar seat and breakdown paddle and backbone though admittedly that was a few years ago when the dollar was slightly better but still not at parity.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Wow. So I looked into the price of those Point 65 modular kayaks. The tandem Martini GTX Angler is a touch over $3k. About $2k for the solo version. Not going to rule it out as I do like the idea and would like something larger for camping out of but it's certainly not going to happen in the near future or on impulse. My AdvancedElements was around the $900 mark delivered from the US with optional lumbar seat and breakdown paddle and backbone though admittedly that was a few years ago when the dollar was slightly better but still not at parity.
Yikes! I've only looked at the singles but I'm not in a position to buy a kayak at this time. When the time comes, this will be more my speed. http://www.anacondastores.com/boating/kayaks/sit-on-top-kayaks/point-65-tequila-single-kayak/p
/BP90027402001

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I think I saw Anaconda have 20% - 40% off kayaks and accessories coming up if anyone's interested.

EDIT: yep, price changed on that Point 65 sit on top over night. Now 20% off.

Last edited:

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I was in Ray's Outdoors today and I spied this. Not a lot different to the Point 65 offering but it's nice to know that there is another company producing this type of kayak.

Attachments

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Interesting but not too surprising. From the research I did the Point 65 ones are made in China so it's no surprise to see the design copied (assuming Point 65 are even the original designers). I'll have to check those out next time I go to Rays. Quick Google found this for those interested: http://snapkayaks.com