Indigenous Australian Weather Seasons

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Redtail.

I think I've been to the site before, but I've just revisited and there is lots of interesting material there.

Its fascinating that aboriginal people still have stories which refer back to the last ice age, and all the more amazing since these are oral traditions :
In the nyitting times..." which translated means "In the icy cold times of long, long ago....".
Who needs ice-core research when you have storeis like that !

Its great that the BOM has made the effort to look at the aborinigal's perspective on climate and weather.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Redtail
i have been trying to find a thread but can't , it was started I believe by Templar on weather forcasting can't remeber the exact title . In which there was plenty of talk on Aboriginal calanders . it was very interesting as each region/tribes had different takes on seasons.
I will try and find it I hope I got the right OP but worth the time looking thru some old threads.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Redtail
i have been trying to find a thread but can't , it was started I believe by Templar on weather forcasting can't remeber the exact title . In which there was plenty of talk on Aboriginal calanders . it was very interesting as each region/tribes had different takes on seasons.
I will try and find it I hope I got the right OP but worth the time looking thru some old threads.
There was some stuff in this thread. Is this the one you were thinking about ?
http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?3360-Acacia-bark-quot-problems-quot/page2&highlight=traditional+calendar

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I had a bit of a search myself, lest I end up starting a parallel thread, but couldn't find anything.
The thing I find interesting, is that most (if not all) indigenous 'calendars' from Australia have six, not four, seasons.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a bit of a search myself, lest I end up starting a parallel thread, but couldn't find anything.
The thing I find interesting, is that most (if not all) indigenous 'calendars' from Australia have six, not four, seasons.
... and not just 6, some have many more, some fewer. I think what we see are very much stylize and simplified versions.

Traditional calendars are dictated by the need to perform activities at the "right" time; be that ceremonies or searching for foods, so it is natural that calendars will be complex. For food gathering, it is very sensible that they are based on observable changes in nature.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks Aussie the second link looks right but I did think Templar started one aswell.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I think you found it , But was not exactly what I remebered it was more bushie weather forecasting
Thankyou.
Actually i would like to find as many references I can to Traditional calandars most I have seen are very informative,