Inaugural WA meet

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im keen to meet up with the rest of the WA bushcraft crew as well, also think my brother, Decco, will be too. We are both generally free weekends and can say we'd be up for any spot with in reasonable distance from Perth. Also if anyone is keen we are heading out for a 2 nighter next weekend, 26th-28th April, to the Monadnocks in the Perth hills. We park at a designated parking spot, off Albany hwy, that the Bib track go's through and follow the track in a few Kms, then take a bearing and wander of track til we find a decent spot to set up camp. We do practice leave no trace camping as well, if anyone is keen PM me so we can just suss it out over the phone.
Cheers,
Liam
Good idea staying clear of that Bib camp. Last time I was there on the same weekend a couple of years back, there were about 60 people. 3 deep in the hut, and a party of noobs who insisted on their own fire and being none too careful about it.
Take a look at the river valley halfway between Monadnocks and Canning huts, as the crow flies, east of Eagle Hill. I went for a stomp in there a couple of weeks ago. There's a very nice secluded valley (big gully?) that would be ideal for an off-track camp. PM me if you want waypoints. Had I a larger pack (another story!), I'd join you.

Sorry Bloffy, getting off topic.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I also cannot make 3-5 May as on my way back from exploring the Kalbarri area. Any other weekend in May is OK so far. I will probably do a recce into the Avon Valley NP sometime this week or next weekend.

I am still keen to try somewhere new.

Cheers
Doc

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Can we settle on 10-12 May and look to the Walyunga National Park option?
Sorry Doc, could we ask you to act the gracious host and organise this location this time?
Pinky promise next time we will have it in someone else's back yard and you can come play too.
At this stage that sits alright for me. Just did the Google maps thing and it's about a five-hour drive which isn't too scary. Straight up Albany Highway, Roe Highway and Great Northern Highway. Gotta love the tyranny of distance. If I leave after work Friday, I should be up about 9pm Friday.
If we are agreed, then that gives us three weeks to plead for leave passes, get our brown stuff in one sock and get out there.
Doc, can you please let us know the camping fees, restrictions etc for this location or whether your ranger mate might do the righty and give us a freeby?
Maybe we can repay him by doing a bit of weed eradication or chopping of introduced trees etc (Good excuse to try our axes, khukris or pocket knives).
Do you know if there is mobile reception in the area so we can liaise a marry up point, or can you set directions for us to get there?
All I need is a GPS location and I should be pretty right. (UTM not lat long - that confuses me :confused:)
What would be the max number of people we could bring into the site? I might have a mate or two to share the driving if they can get the time off but I haven't spoken to them yet.
If this is settled, I will edit the first post with this info and those coming.
Any other ideas, please speak up before noon Monday, April 22 otherwise, all things being equal, we will go with this.
Again, sorry if I have dominated this discussion. Hoping more to act as a facilitator than a dictator but given the short timeframe we appear to have, decisions needed to be made fairly quickly to give us the best chance of success.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bunyipbait

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
hey Redtail
I have three 60 litre packs, thanks to my old days working at mountain designs..you could take your pick mate and join us!

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
hey Redtail
I have three 60 litre packs, thanks to my old days working at mountain designs..you could take your pick mate and join us!
I may have one by then, but that's brilliant if I can borrow one. PM inbound.

I also need a bl__dy tent. Anyone got a spare? I'm wanting to check out hammocks, but I thought I'd use this meet to have a look at Doc's and Uneekwan's

The date works for me, but might just have to be the one (Sat) night.

No need to apologise Bloffy, as with all things, someone needs to be the driver.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Can we settle on 10-12 May and look to the Walyunga National Park option?

Hi Bloffy, I think I can get this to work. We will probably use the Avon Valley NP which is close to Walyunga. I will have a chat to the ranger and see what I can organise. I will have to do a short recce into the area this week to check if there is water in the little stream, suitable trees and an estimate of the numbers that can be accommodated.

Watch this space!

Cheers
Doc

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I disappear for a while and low and behold you try to arrange a meet! Coincidence? ;)

I'm in. The spot Doc has in mind is great. Been there with him and Browny.

Will see if browny is in the mood to come as he's just had his second lot of back surgery (damage caused by his 6 redundant axes!).

Last edited:

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I disappear for a while and low and behold you try to arrange a meet! Coincidence? ;)

I'm in. The spot Doc has in mind is great. Been there with him and Browny.

Will see if browny is in the mood to come as he's just had his second lot of back surgery (damage caused by his 6 redundant axes!).
I don't overpack, I'm merely well prepared for various eventualities. ;p

Im super keen on this, but owing to having some more bone and disc removed on the ole L5 S1 I
Won't know if I'm capable till just before the event.

If we are going the Walyunga/AV NP option that Doc and Uneekwahn are talking about, its a lot easier as
it's only a short stroll from a vehicle.
As much as I prefer a long walk in to ensure the lack of attention from other parties, I won't be shouldering any more than a small day pack for quite some time.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Browny: Don't worry about the pack carry. We took a secret vote and Uneekwahn was elected to be your personal porter for the weekend and he won't mind doing two or even three trips for your redundancies, I'm sure. Oooops, didn't we tell you that Uneekwahn....
If it's just a bit of yomping that's the problem, carry in your precious cargo (Bundy Beam and whatever). I'd be happy to walk out and carry your pack in for you, unless it's as bad as stated.
@ Redtail: Any time you can join us, won't be a problem. Now is there anything else we can get you. A sleeping bag, comfy socks, some Mongolian Yak cheese, my leige.
@ Doc: Really appreciate you doing all this. :cuoricini: :_applauso::_applauso::_applauso: You are a deadset champion.
So it looks a goer. And they said it would never happen.
See the first entry for updates on who's coming.
Cheers
Bloffy

AussieBosun

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
wish i could say i would be there also and meet a few of you , unfortunately i don't get off this ship until the end of may but will keep my eyes open for the next one.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Well, looks like the Saturday night is out for me.

What's the point in having a shared calendar on your phone if your wife doesn't put an entry in for her friends 30th birthday?

I'll definitely be in for the Friday (and may take the day off work to spend all day there if others want to do the same) and will leave Saturday arvo. May come back Sunday morning but will see that morning.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Guys

A quick update:
1. Emailed the ranger to get permission to use the area. Awaiting a response.
2. As I am on leave, I took a drive out there this afternoon to recce the area. It is the driest I have ever seen it. All the grass is gone and the ground consists of compact soil and leaf litter. Even the stream next to the camp is dry, so we will have to bring our own water. There is space for 4-5 hammocks and plenty of room for small tents & swags. We will have to leave our cars at the top of the hill and walk 1 km (250 m decent) into the valley camp area.
3. The Avon River (brackish) is flowing OK for this time of year.
4. Took a series of GPS waypoints so I could produce coordinate list and detailed directions for those who haven't been there yet.
5. Took a series of photos to show you all what the camp looks like now:
IMG_0491.jpg IMG_0490.jpg
View from the car park area into the valley. Avon River close (50 m) to the camp.

IMG_0488.jpg IMG_0489.jpg
Camp area and fire pit.

IMG_0683.jpg
What the camp area normally looks like. Grass!!!!

Is this venue a goer for 10-12 May?
Cheers
Doc

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
@BunyipBait - re packs - PM sent
@Doc - re tent - thanks! PM inbound
@Bloffy - a new fourby ... a personal masseuse to relax me after the 1000m walk into camp ... a porter (Uneekwahn is taken?)

... as John Lennon wrote "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making plans"

2 out of 3 important bases covered. I'll be doing my best to get there on those dates.

BTW - Okay with the rest of you if I bring a mate?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Redtail: Will bring my high heels to walk up and down your back. Will have to do on short notice.
I have no probs with ya bringing a mate. Was hoping to try and find one myself. Might struggle a bit.
@ Doc: Thanks for going up there. Very much appreciated. Over and above the call or a good excuse? What a big change. Still there is a couple of weeks, which can make a huge difference.
If need be, I have a dual jerry can holder on the back of my car so I can bring up 40l of Great Southern rainwater if ya want. Let me know.
Cheers
Bloffy

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Bloffy, can you bring a babysitter with you so I can go both nights? ;)

Doc, it's a definite shame it isn't as green as it has been in the past. Perhaps if we moved further upstream it might get greener? We could ask the Ranger if there are any other secluded spots we could go to?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
As long as there is a flat enough piece of ground for my spa and outdoor stainless steel BBQ( with sink). If there are too many trees, my satellite dish may not get good enough reception.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
As long as there is a flat enough piece of ground for my spa and outdoor stainless steel BBQ( with sink). If there are too many trees, my satellite dish may not get good enough reception.
Ha, ha! I won't offer to carry your pack!

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Bloffy, can you bring a babysitter with you so I can go both nights? ;)

Doc, it's a definite shame it isn't as green as it has been in the past. Perhaps if we moved further upstream it might get greener? We could ask the Ranger if there are any other secluded spots we could go to?
Hi Uneekwahn

I will chat to the ranger about another area otherwise we can camp in the usual spot. I will bring an 40l of water and leave it in the car. So with Bloffy nice water (not Perth rubbish) we will have plenty.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
@ Redtail: Will bring my high heels to walk up and down your back. Will have to do on short notice.
I have no probs with ya bringing a mate. Was hoping to try and find one myself. Might struggle a bit.
Bloffy
Maybe you're wearing the wrong type of heels to attract a mate. If they're not the right profile for your figure, it makes you look cheap.