Inaugural WA meet

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Righto,
Following on from the interest shown in Thrud's Bell's Rapids thread - http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?5334-Bell-s-Rapids-and-Mount-Mambup - let's get a WA meet going.
I am thinking maybe Collie or Serpentine/Jarrahdale area or, if too far, somewhere closer to the smoke if we must.
Due to the limiting fire laws in WA, it would have to be after May (which really isn't so far away.)
Need access to reasonable fresh water and preferably free/cheap camping as it irks me when I have to pay to stay in my own State with limited resources in overused and abused camp grounds.
Also need access to trees for hammocks and to allow a bit of uninterupted bushcraft skilling.
Anyone got any ideas?
Potential interest from myself, Redtail, Doc, Uneekwan. Thrud, you in? What about you Motor?
Anyone else from WA? Seems to be plenty coming on line lately.
Once we get a show of interest, we can nut out the finer detail like where, when, what, why and how.

Cheers
Bloffy

UPDATE: UPDATE: UPDATE:
Why: Inaugural (official) bush moot of the WA Branch of the Australian Bushcrafters' Forum.
Where: Avon Valley National Park - info to come.
When: Friday May 10- Sunday May 12. As you can get there.
Who: (At this stage) Bloffy and mate? (Probably arrive late - long drive), Doc, Uneekwahn, Browny (yes, you're coming! Bugga ya back), Redtail and mate? (Saturday only?), Bunyipbait, Decco?, Thrud, Bourby (Late Saturday - Sunday?). Anyone else? More the merrier.
What: Toys (even your "redundancies" Browny), tucker, wollop, packs, sleeping kit, Red Capes, toothbrush, Panadol, Big sense of fun and a dollop of merriment and frivolity
How: That's up to you. Use Google to pick your path, and just bloody-well get there. Last bit Shank's Pony but not far and not hard (apparently).

Last edited:

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Bloffy

How about Dwellingup? I think Redtail knows the area well.

Cheers
Doc

B

Bourby

Account Inactive
I would say i'd be there except i work every saturday.......

Anywho there are some nice spots around collie, never seen a ranger down there or paid & have had small camp fires at will .......... avoid wellington dam to be left alone ...................

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@BOD: will keep that date in mind. Hopefully it's a start and there will be plenty more to come.
@Thrud: Gotta hate those "usual" factors.
@Doc: Yep, Dwellingup is a good option. I could tie it in then with my wife paying a visit to the mother-in-law. Might make it easier to sell then. :_(A):
@Redtail: I know you're lurking out there... Would you be happy to suggest/find a location for a meet. No pressure.
If you're really good, I'll wear the red cape....
@Bourby: Could you make it to an overnighter and/or join us for Sunday.
I am thinking it would all be pretty low key anyway. Find a spot, meet and greet, show and tell, B/S stories around a campfire. Maybe some skill setting and plenty of chillaxing.
Come on the rest of you Sandgropers. Let's get off our proverbial and make this happen. Once it's said out loud, it becomes a bit more realistic.
Any no-go dates. I'm out May 17-19 at this stage but as far as I know relatively free otherwise.
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Date's not much of an issue for me, except to say early May onwards. I plan on having wheels by then.
Dwellingup area may be good, yes. I would like to do a recce before suggesting. Last time I was through there, about a year ago, there were a lot more "no nothing" signs about, die back controls and mining encroachment.
I wouldn't mind checking out more of the wandoo country in Doc's spot, myself.
Bloffy, it's not the cape that worries me, it's what you may have got in that little basket of "goodies for grandma" that gives me nightmares.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
My what big toys you have, Granma....
Bugga, another two dates out for me, 24-26 May and 21-23 June. My wife has dibs on those due to craft shows. Wouldn't be worth my life to go on those dates.
OK, let's settle on Doc's wandoo area then shall we? That's up towards Bell's Rapids near Brigadoon?
Phew, big drive for me. 426km - 4 hours and 38 minutes according to good old Google Maps.
Might not make it Friday night then. Bugga. Gunna have to camp roadside half way. What a shame.....

Now for a date?
Cheers
Bloffy

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Guys

My area's is in the Avon Valley & Wallyunga NP to the NE of Perth. I know the ranger well and can organise access with little hassle. It will however be a long drive for Bloffy!

I was more keen to explore other areas that are not familiar to me.

Cheers
Doc

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day all.
I am sorry. I don't want to dominate this, just trying to keep things moving (ever been to a video shop with five people and tried to pick one video everyone likes?)
So, there's Dwellingup and Wallyunga NP. I've quite a few places down here but too much of a hike for most for a first up camp/moot.
I am thinking let's work on the KISS principle. Redtail and Doc. Any chance you two can play rock, paper, scissors or ink, pink you stink and come up with a place. I reckon if we get too many opinions, we'll never go anywhere.
Unless someone else has a good idea shall we let them these two go toe to toe :pugno:
Alright, out on a limb here. Proposing Friday 31 May, Saturday 1 June and Sunday 2 June. Could be nice and cold and wet then. At least we'll be able to have a fire.
How does that sit for you BOD?
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I want to go to Doc's part of town for much the same reason he wants to go somewhere else. i.e. I've not camped much in the wandoo.
I'm hard pressed to think of anywhere around Dwellingup that's not popular. But I'm out bushwalking tomorrow, so I'll ask my buddies if they can think of anywhere.
Private property, or limited access would fit the bill, IMHO.

What sort of access to we want?
Drive up, basically car camp? Or are wanting to walk in? And how far? Any more than a couple of hours doesn't leave time for mucking about 'crafting and all that.

That weekend, Bloffy, is the WA Day (fka Foundation Day) long weekend. Still works for me, but could be a factor for other peeps.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Ha, lol, that's funny Redtail. Doesn't matter where we choose someone will be put out....
As I said, do you two mind getting your heads together to come to a location? I would do it but I am not familiar with somewhere close enough to the metro area.
WA Day would be a good excuse to have a first meet but I would understand it would be a problem for some. I don't have a problem with it.
I am happy with a walk in from a relatively safe carpark but not fussed any which way. I have a seven seater four wheel drive so I can pick up others from a central location if needed.
At least we are starting to narrow it down.
Cheers
Bloffy

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Guys
We can use my local area. We have access to NP via some private property and can leave the cars right on the NP border. Then just a short (700 m walk) to the clearing where we can hang hammocks and pitch tents/swags, etc. We have a rustic fire-pit too!

I will have to do a reccae into the area before hand as I haven't been there since October last year. Make sure the hammock trees are still standing:_fiu:

How about earlier than Bloffy's suggestion of late May. It gets bloody told in the valley! Last year I did a winter hang in 2°C!

Cheers
Doc

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Yep okay. If I can't make it then too bad so sad.
I can't make aforementioned dates but I could look earlier. Weekend after Anzac might be a bit close. What about 3-5 May?
Agreed about the temp. Inland cold seems to get into your bones more too than coastal cold. Don't know why but that is why I moved from Narrogin to Albany. Even though its 250+km further south the winter weather is warmer due to the moderating effects of the ocean.
but even when its 2C at both, seems warmer at coast.
I digress (ooh, squirrel)...
Maybe still pick your mates' brains Redtail for a future moot and I'll get one up my sleeve for later in the year when you soft Northerners plan to venture to the South Coast (Maybe plan for just prior to end of fire season so we can still have a campfire).

I vote for Doc's Spot 3-5 May. All in favour....
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Nope can't do 3-5 May.
1) car shopping that weekend
2) need car to get to the moot!

mid May onwards works for me

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Hope you are going for a Delica!!!
OK 3-5 May is out for now. - Redtail
3-5 May is out - Thrud
17-19 May is out - Bloffy
18-18 May is out - Thrud
24-26 May is out - Bloffy
Any other dates that don't work?
Cheers
Bloffy

Last edited:

Bunyipbait

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im keen to meet up with the rest of the WA bushcraft crew as well, also think my brother, Decco, will be too. We are both generally free weekends and can say we'd be up for any spot with in reasonable distance from Perth. Also if anyone is keen we are heading out for a 2 nighter next weekend, 26th-28th April, to the Monadnocks in the Perth hills. We park at a designated parking spot, off Albany hwy, that the Bib track go's through and follow the track in a few Kms, then take a bearing and wander of track til we find a decent spot to set up camp. We do practice leave no trace camping as well, if anyone is keen PM me so we can just suss it out over the phone.
Cheers,
Liam

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day Bunyipbait. So can add you and Decco to the list as well?
So is that now:
Bloffy, Redtail, Doc, Bod, Thrud, Bunyipbait, Decco, Uneekwan, Bourby?
Anyone else? Don't be shy. Only a few of us have met before and that was for a couple of beers before Christmas. I think there are a few more peeps out there. Let's shake off the cobwebs and get out there.
This is starting to shape up nicely. Let's just hope it works out.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
345 May no good for me ( doing Bob Cooper's course)
18/19 no good working