Improvised inflatable splint.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
This is of no use to me as a hammock camper, but I found it interesting nonetheless. I recall seeing a demonstration of a purpose made inflatable splint when I was in the army and we all were of same mind in thinking that it wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Australian bush. The arrangement shown at this link might be a bit more robust.
https://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/impr...MMY0qNv62qsHWDXytauws7WZGI_dzMWoYXhFmq2ftth-I

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Duct tape and cling wrap in a remote location. As a bushwalker having those things on an extended walk isn't realistic - perhaps they mean car based camping? I carry some 100mph tape wrapped around a tablet container that has vaseline impregnated cotton wool balls in it. There's probably about 1m of it? But who'd carry cling wrap? Along with all your other stuff? And cling wrap is easy to damage so that it doesn't come of the roll for any great length before tearing into various strips - hard to avoid in a full pack. It's a nice idea though. What is realistic is the bed mat, tape, and roller bandages. The roller bandages could take the place of the cling wrap in the above example - do it up pretty tight.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The article clearly articulates the impracticality of carrying and using cling wrap which is why they advocate Stretch Wrap. That said, I really can't see what advantage any wrapping of the mattress provides so leave it off.