BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improvised bark container

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Walking in the forest I found some berries which I decided to forage, but I didn't have a suitable pouch or container, so i improvised one.
It didn't go entirely to plan ...

Here goes:

I started with a bark scroll (a shard of bark shed from a tree), which I trimmed to length.
Then I found a stick which was wide enough so I could snugly plug the end.
I harvested some pimelea (aka "Bushmans Bootlaces") to use as cordage and I cinched the bark tightly around the stick to secure it:

Why use such a tall stick as the plug ?

26832 26833 26834

Why ? So I can put it down safely !

I collected some nice berries as I went along. The pointed "scoop" allowed me to easily drop the berries onto it and they would safely roll down into the tube.
Nice !

Berries in the tube:
26835 26836

This worked really well and I was able to stroll along and pluck a berry here and there and easily deposit them.

.... of course it didn't all go to plan .... I managed to "bump" it (??) and just like Humpty Dumpty they all fell down .... BUGGA !
Somehow I bumped the plug and the bark and the two came apart.

No stopper ! No berries !

So I collected them up into my hat and looked for another solution.

With hindsight I wish I'd used a few trenails to secure the plug.
I think that would have held it more securely; not relying solely on friction to hold them.
Trenails ("tree-nails" are wooden nails), I should have made some holes through the bark and into the plug, then "nailed" the two together so they could not slip

So I rummaged around and found my good old red bandanna.
I used some pimelea to secure the bandanna in a bunch, and put it in my pocket.

But the bandanna worked well, and was the simplest solution, and I had no further issues, .... no issues except ......

Leeches !

While picking up all the berries I was attacked by about a dozen leeches !!! I got a couple of bites, rather: "they" got a couple of bites, before I got them all off.
26842 26843

When I was safely away, I pulled out my mirror for a bit of an inspection.

A mirror is great for all sorts of things, including checking yourself for leeches or ticks, or any injuries etc etc
This is a cheapie from a $2 shop. One mirror magnifies, the other is flat. I checked my head, back, behind my legs, under arms etc
(Of course if you have a companion, you could check each other).

I finally mayde it back to the car bleeding, leech free, and with a handfull of berries.

A great day out !

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hehe ... I think the saying goes: A bad day in the bush is better than a good day in the office

... But it really is a very nice spot. Dark, wet rain forest ...