Improvised bark container

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Walking in the forest I found some berries which I decided to forage, but I didn't have a suitable pouch or container, so i improvised one.
It didn't go entirely to plan ...

Here goes:

I started with a bark scroll (a shard of bark shed from a tree), which I trimmed to length.
Then I found a stick which was wide enough so I could snugly plug the end.
I harvested some pimelea (aka "Bushmans Bootlaces") to use as cordage and I cinched the bark tightly around the stick to secure it:

Why use such a tall stick as the plug ?

26832 26833 26834

Why ? So I can put it down safely !

I collected some nice berries as I went along. The pointed "scoop" allowed me to easily drop the berries onto it and they would safely roll down into the tube.
Nice !

Berries in the tube:
26835 26836

This worked really well and I was able to stroll along and pluck a berry here and there and easily deposit them.

.... of course it didn't all go to plan .... I managed to "bump" it (??) and just like Humpty Dumpty they all fell down .... BUGGA !
Somehow I bumped the plug and the bark and the two came apart.

No stopper ! No berries !

So I collected them up into my hat and looked for another solution.

With hindsight I wish I'd used a few trenails to secure the plug.
I think that would have held it more securely; not relying solely on friction to hold them.
Trenails ("tree-nails" are wooden nails), I should have made some holes through the bark and into the plug, then "nailed" the two together so they could not slip

So I rummaged around and found my good old red bandanna.
I used some pimelea to secure the bandanna in a bunch, and put it in my pocket.

But the bandanna worked well, and was the simplest solution, and I had no further issues, .... no issues except ......

Leeches !

While picking up all the berries I was attacked by about a dozen leeches !!! I got a couple of bites, rather: "they" got a couple of bites, before I got them all off.
26842 26843

When I was safely away, I pulled out my mirror for a bit of an inspection.

A mirror is great for all sorts of things, including checking yourself for leeches or ticks, or any injuries etc etc
This is a cheapie from a $2 shop. One mirror magnifies, the other is flat. I checked my head, back, behind my legs, under arms etc
(Of course if you have a companion, you could check each other).

I finally mayde it back to the car bleeding, leech free, and with a handfull of berries.

A great day out !

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hehe ... I think the saying goes: A bad day in the bush is better than a good day in the office

... But it really is a very nice spot. Dark, wet rain forest ...