Impromptu oilcloth experiment

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
As a result of oiling floorboards recently I happened to have a large rag soaked in linseed oil. Instead of disposing of it responsibly or trying to get it to spontaneously combust I hung it up to dry, figuring it's basically oilcloth.IMG_20200616_170142_copy_756x1008.jpg

After a couple of weeks of curing I checked how waterproof it was by holding it under a tap, no water coming through with my hand directly under the tap. Then made a rough pouch shape with it and filled it with water, with the only leak being to the pouch being very rough. I didn't get photos of this due to lack of hands.
I've got to say I'm impressed by how effective it was. I might have to add a rain Cape or watch coat to my list of projects I might get to one day. In case anyones curious the rag was from a heavy cotton sheet, the oil was raw linseed oil from the hardware store.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
its been curing for a few weeks but was there much residue from it?

when i was a tacker i used to sit for ages with oldish putty and a bottle of linseed, dad used to re glass old windows.
it was my job to work the putty back to being soft and i can still fondly remember how soft my hands were but i stunk for days LOL
funny how the brain brings back smells from your childhood :)

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
its been curing for a few weeks but was there much residue from it?

when i was a tacker i used to sit for ages with oldish putty and a bottle of linseed, dad used to re glass old windows.
it was my job to work the putty back to being soft and i can still fondly remember how soft my hands were but i stunk for days LOL
funny how the brain brings back smells from your childhood :)
No residue, it did smell a bit though. Maybe if there had been more oil in the cloth? It was wet but not dripping when I hung it up to dry, not sure if that makes a difference.