IMCO petrol lighters

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I wish I had bought more of these when I bought this one off Urban Conquest, but unfortunately I only bought the one, I think they are superior to the much hyped Zippo (which I did use for many years while I smoked) they basically use all the Zippo stuff, flints and fluid and are pretty wind resistant.

I have looked them up on Ebay just today and they are hideously expensive to buy now, I paid $10 for mine when I bought mine of Ron. Should have bought 5 or 6 of them now thinking about it.

They also just light with a flick of the top latch. A bit more compact and easy to carry IMHO in the pocket.

Same drawback that the flavor of the fluid comes through to whatever you are smoking, not that that worries me nowadays. If I had a heap of them I would add them to all my kits.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
yes, they have an awesome reputation. I researched them a while ago. There is a chinese copy of the 6700 that is slightly different and gets good reviews (imco closed in 2012). The only thing with these, along with zippos, is fuel evaporation. Nothing beats the peanut lighter for an edc kit unless you're a regular lighter user. I top up my peanut lighters (less than a teaspoon of unleaded :) ) once a year or so. You may have said all this in your video - I can't watch it I'm on limited data right now.

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yes you are right mate, fuel evaporation is their achilles heel and that does make them actually pretty unsuitable for kits unless you put in a fuel container with them.

I should add there are some special things unique to the IMCO 6700 (and some other models)
first up you can remove the flame cartridge and use it as a candle

second there is a special place made in the back of the lighter for a spare flint, you just open up the lighter and put in a flint.

third on the 6700 model there is a flange that you can push up and down to adjust the flame height. Here I am pointing at it, at the lowest point and the flame would be in the highest point.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
yes you are right mate, fuel evaporation is their achilles heel and that does make them actually pretty unsuitable for kits unless you put in a fuel container with them.
In the "olden days" people loved these style of lighters because they could top them up with "any" fuel available.
So even though they evaporate (or you may use up the fuel), you could put lamp oil, kero, diesel, or cooking oil in as a substitute.

(I'm not suggesting to put "anything burnable" into the lighter, but when there was no alternative, that's what people did. Its also what some "Surv...." people like them today)

Markie D

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
(or you may use up the fuel), you could put lamp oil, kero, diesel, or cooking oil in as a substitute.
In the "olden days" people loved these style of lighters because they could top them up with "any" fuel available.
So even though they evaporate (or you may use up the fuel), you could put lamp oil, kero, diesel, or cooking oil in as a substitute.

(I'm not suggesting to put "anything burnable" into the lighter, but when there was no alternative, that's what people did. Its also what some "Surv...." people like them today)
Wow, why have i never seen these lighters..... Gotta get myself one of these.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

I had a pilot mate, he'd do his check of a little cessna before a flight (skydivers). There was a fuel bowl under the wing at the lowest point of the tank - I think to show if there was water or sediment. You could push up on a valve supposedly to let any water out - he used to always fill his zippo from this - avgas.

I use unleaded in the peanut lighters šŸ˜‚

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Wow, why have i never seen these lighters..... Gotta get myself one of these.
while IMCO has gone out of business you can still get the Esbit IMCO 6700's for around $22 off Ebay or the Chinese OME versions or if you are up for it original IMCO's, though they are getting more expensive these days often selling for around $40 each.

Markie D

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
... i.e. any of the "petrol" lighters like zippos, ronson, imco ... etc ...
I have a zippo, but tbh i wasn't aware i could use different fuels in a zippo, i figured it only worked with lighter fluid, I am going to have to do some tests with mine now. hahaha