Mammal Identification of remains...

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Charlie the dog found this tucked in a tree stump about 3 foot away from a stream about 2 weeks ago, but only got to take pics yesterday. Ive been throughRGB Morrison's book and Trigg's book and cannot be sure what it is, I've got some ideas, but would appreciate any help. Western Australia 90k north of Perth, inland.

The fur is slightly reddish, there were black whiskers on the snout.

Giant Spider 003.jpgGiant Spider 006.jpgGiant Spider 005.jpgGiant Spider 004.jpgGiant Spider 004.jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
WOW! Looks like a western quoll or chuditch = Dasyurus geoffroii. Going by your location.
The upper canine appears to be falling out of its socket making it look very long and curved.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Those canines are impressive! When I initially saw it, I thought feral cat, but The more I look at images the more confused I get, l will look at quoll. Thanks

Addit: I think you are bang on the money there Hairyman, now I've had a look at cat skulls, rat skulls etc I hadn't appreciated the "canine drop " post- mortem effect.

Thanks very much again.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I was thinking about your find today Thrud, and what a nice piece of bushcraft observation it was.
You had to take notice of your dogs behaviour and realise it had found something, then be interested
enough to take a look, then go back and take a photo.
Walking slowly and listening long, ...letting the natural world through the doors of perception, ..to mix
metaphors. :)