I think I have found it, the big hawk

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have been looking at this item for a while, the Cold Steel Viking Hand Axe. Well I dropped the hammer today, just waiting on confirmation from Cleaver's so I can go and pick it up from them. Been watching all the review vids (as is my way with new purchases) and stumbled upon this one, which sealed the deal for me, this is what I like, basically a trail hawk but bigger head, mounted on a longer shaft with all the versatility of a removable head, usable for all the same sorts of tasks but again bigger head for a bigger bloke (which I am)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score

wrapped the handle in paracord, and been working on the edge with a file all afternoon, got it to a point where I am somewhat happy with the edge, and thinking this is how they should have delivered the axe from factory, just a working edge, not super sharp but reasonably decent and ready to be refined further.
I have bought a sheath off Ebay, the more I handle it the more I am become enamoured with it. This is the axe I have been looking for.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
had the chance to run it over the WorkSharp a bit over the weekend, and then worked on it a bit on the Sharpmaker, still not as sharp as I would like it but sharp for an axe, a good working edge. I will be refining it further in the future.

Or I may take it and my CS Rifleman's Knife to the Knife shop and get them professionally sharpened. Not sure yet.