I saw an unusual axe mod

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
At a market on the weekend I noticed an unusual mod to an axe.
Can you spot it ?

27009 27010

I have been thinking of doing just this thing, then seeing it in the flesh, it has confirmed what can go wrong.
Amazing timing !

I'll need some kind of "drift" to make it work ….

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Not sure what I am supposed to see here mate. Has the eye been tapered like a tomahawk? Is this a tomahawk?
Keith.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think the axis of the head is different from that of the handle.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
What I am seeing is a helve that does not fit the eye in the head. The eye looks to me as though it is a tapered oval like on the tomahawk, but the eye is not uniform, or perhaps the ill fitting helve is distorting my view of the eye. Perhaps the head is damaged distorting the eye in the head, or perhaps the eye was not tapered properly.
This is an axe/hatchet head which I altered the shape of the eye so that I could fit a tapered helve, making the helve easier to make & fit, & giving me the option of removing the head easily to use it for finer work or scraping skins/hides.
Keith.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I've zoomed the pic a bit to try and make it clearer (its not the best pic to start with).
Its a normal sized felling axe, but someone has heated it in a forge and bent it to try and turn it into a side axe.

In the process of flattening one side (the right as you look at the picture),
the eye has become distorted, so a normal handle doesn't fit properly, leaving a gap.

I've wanted a side axe too, and had been thinking about doing just this ! Timing !

With a "drift" in the hole (a piece of metal shaped the same as the hole), I could bend a normal axe head, but hammer out any distortion caused by bending

(Side Axes are flat on one side to allow round logs to be cut square.
The flat side allows the axe to cut along the grain without cutting into the log itself)

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Will you be grinding it down too? Even with the eye bent round the geometry won't be right. It would probably be easier to make a side axe from scratch, or buy an old one and restore it.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Will you be grinding it down too? Even with the eye bent round the geometry won't be right. It would probably be easier to make a side axe from scratch, or buy an old one and restore it.
Good points, all very true !
I thought I'd buy one, but they are quite expensive especially since I only have one job in mind.

I'm on a bit of a making bent and I picked up a nice old axe head for $5 with the thought that I could mod it.
I was worried about the eye.
Then I saw this one and it confirmed that the eye will be an issue

Changing the geometry shouldn't be too tricky, but I'll have to see if there is anything I can do with the eye …. if not, then a normal axe will almost certainly do the job I have in mind .... but I want excuses to make things !

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It looks to me as though it has been run over. The hole is misshapen equilaterally like it has been squashed on the side. No axe handle is ever going to fit that well unless it is shaped by hand from scratch

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I thought I'd buy one, but they are quite expensive especially since I only have one job in mind.

I'm on a bit of a making bent and I picked up a nice old axe head for $5 with the thought that I could mod it.

Changing the geometry shouldn't be too tricky, but I'll have to see if there is anything I can do with the eye …. if not, then a normal axe will almost certainly do the job I have in mind .... but I want excuses to make things !
[/QUOTE

Fair enough. Even the old ones can be a bit expensive especially when you take restoration into it.
Take a look at the roselli axe head, it's surprisingly good for woodworking. Its got a flat grind and you can use it on an angle to cut a nice flat surface. Ok that's not terribly clear but hopefully you get the idea. Could be easier to modify an axe to use that way, especially if the job you want it for isn't too big.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

You could do that. Get an axe, cut the bulk of the blade off leaving the eye, then weld (or forge) it together off set. It would not be ambi dextrous, which could be a hastle if you had to work toward a cut on both sides of the timber you're working on (for example). Surely though those axes you're talking of aren't a chisel grind; they would still have to come in on an angle for the edge to bite. If they were a chisel grind with the bevel on the side away from the work, the bevel would drive the axe into the work too much. Perhaps the only unique thing about those tidying up axes was the width (length of the cutting edge) and perhaps a shallow flat grind?