BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

I Gave In!! Yes I'm a Kit Junky. Shut Up.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Well in my on going quest to get my kit just right I found the new USMC pack a few weeks ago. I jagged a bargain on evilbay US & my US forwarding service came in handy once again.

It just arrived!!!

I'm surprised how comfortable & flexible the DEI frame is & the straps are pretty good too, a million times better than the old Alice pack frame set up I had when I was still in, I wish I had this back then. The finish & quality is very good.

I have found a few minor downsides though I'm yet to field test
Weight: The frame is quite heavy & has total weight of 4-5kg for pack, frame & 4 pouches
Internal finish: Great on the outside but the waterproof coating is slightly rough on the inside, minor point but worth mentioning
Size: At 80 odd litres it's big, however it cinches down very well
Lower side pockets: They are nice & big but I find it quite difficult to get the canteens back in them while wearing. Maybe I just need more practice or my arms are too short. I might look in to getting some molle sewn on to the hip belt wings to place pouches so they can be reached easier

Here are some pics. If you want to see more check out my previous listing which has several pics I grabbed off the net.

I loaded up with everything I needed to head for the hills including 5L of water & 4 rat packs (bulk & weight 1kg each) to simulate 6-8 days of food.

Front of pack loaded & cinched. The lid is over sized which helps cover & compress the load

DSCF3825.jpg

Front of pack & sustainment pouches with lid open

DSCF3830.jpg

Inside of lid. Mesh pocket can be accessed on the underside & outside

DSCF3831.jpg

Top compartment with internal load compression strap

DSCF3832.jpg

Lower sleeping kit compartment with internal load compression strap

DSCF3834.jpg

Lower sleeping kit compartment can be opened right up

DSCF3836.jpg

Waist belt & straps. The waist best is fastened by pulling the straps forward which makes it heaps easier

DSCF3827.jpg

Wearing rear view. I'm 172cm, 5'9" & about 87cm, 34" waist

DSCF3837.jpg

Wearing side view

DSCF3838.jpg

Wearing front view

DSCF3839.jpg

Once I field test it I'll give post an update. I'll be taking this on my upcoming GC walk.

Last edited:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Cheers Benny... looks a bit better "in person" so to speak, gives it some scale... seems like it's not a whole lot larger than a large ALICE or those "Recon" packs in the system now... still a bit of a beast when it comes to weight though... but nothing too harsh to be honest. I think I'd use one given the chance... thanks, look forward to the after action review.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I take it that the design is supposed to ride high like that? Looks like none of the weight is being taken on the pelvic girdle by the belt.
This is at odds with current design, but i know some people prefer that, how was the comfort at the end of the trip??

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks for the review and pics - it's a good looking pack, I like it. Let us know how you get on with it in the field!

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I take it that the design is supposed to ride high like that? Looks like none of the weight is being taken on the pelvic girdle by the belt.
how was the comfort at the end of the trip??

Mate, I just threw it on again to see where it comfortably sits & in the pics it is probably riding a little high since I was playing around to see what felt best, though my board shorts are a bit loose & hanging down a bit so probably makes it look higher than it was. The hip belt is also quite wide so covers a large area of the pelvis.

The walk is next weekend so will update soon.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks for showing it ... Very interested in the field results

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I too am eagerly awaiting your field test. Those internal compression straps look very useful.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Well I took the sack with me to Lammington NP last weekend & wore it for two days of 21km/day with about 30kg.

Final thoughts: Great layout & features. The molle allows you to place pouches where you want but I used the pouches it came with & placed them in the intended positions as seen in the pics above. The pockets are well placed & thought out.
: Comfortable hip belt, though it did come loose & I had to continually tighten it every km or so. Not a huge issue & because you tighten by pulling forward it's quite easy. I suspect it's because the webbing is slightly thinner than the intended size for the plastic hardware used so it doesn't bind as well as it could.
: The pocket under the lid is great but should have been divided into two pockets, upper & lower, so things don't all slide to the front when you close it.
: 1000 X better than the traditional Alice pack & frame though my shoulders were definitely feeling it by the end of each day. If you're used to humping big loads with an Alice pack this thing will feel like a dream. It's been a while since I've punished myself with an Alice so my shoulders were not loving life. I'm going to play around with lashing the pack to my MR Nice frame.
: You can't adjust the shoulder straps for height so you can't get a truly perfect fit like you can with the Nice frame. Of course it's all relative to price.
: While the quality is pretty damn good you can tell it's being made in mass numbers for a military contract. There are a few little miss placed stitches here & there, certainly nothing to compromise the integrity, just not the same standard as my MR pack. Again it's all relative to price.
: The lower water bottle pockets are fine, they just took some getting used to.
: Well worth a look, great value.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up Benny, seems like a good pack for stomping, Might be a bit interesting for the vertically challenged among us if the height is not easily adjustable.