I Blame Ray Mears

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
When a tree falls in the woods it definitely makes a noise, when the tree falls because of people foolishly harvesting birch bark from live trees to make containers there is only one TV personality to blame, it's time for a tongue in cheek Ray Mears rant recorded whilst still in shock in the very minutes just after a 70ft birch tree fell and crushed half of my camp crashing down right where i had just been sitting drinking my coffee only minutes earlier.

Enjoy my passion for the Adirondack Mountains in northern USA unleashed in the adrenalin of a near life experience, be WARNED SLIGHT COLOURFUL LANGUAGE USED throughout, if you are not confortable with this please do not watch, this is basically a public information film about the dangers of windowmakers which was filmed in the shock of just surviving one, it is raw with the very minimal of editing, p's i don't really blame Ray but some of the idiots i see in the wild who watch his show and run out there with a big eff off knife and axe and start hacking up the nature to make a bowl that they just throw away which kills a tree boils my blood and when i was in shock a little bit of the pressure cooker went pop, so enjoy the madness

If you need subtitles i will get them done soon, until then have fun trying to get you're ears around my full and raw native tongue in all it's mad glory, i've been told it is worth watching just for that

[video=youtube;f4aIvX-51Zs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4aIvX-51Zs[/video]

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow.. Glad you are ok and have minimal damage to your kit..

Great news is as you say, plenty of firewood..

I expect to see a kitchen full of birch containers as well given your bounty from that haul :)

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
It snowed and sleeted for the next 7 days after this so i ended up burning the lot, i had a fair few sketchy nights sleep every time the wind picked up when the branches were full of snow, you can see the makeshift porch i made from the shredded tarp on the end of my shelter here

IMG_20161027_170053.jpg

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
greetings folks, plain English translated subtitles have now been added to the video, just turn them on via youtube if you were struggling with my accent or dialect

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for the safety reminder , its easy to become complacent of widowmakers. Not familiar with the birch bark bowls , however the termite popuation means I hear and see trees falling regularly while in the bush.

L Bush

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Bloody hell that was lucky! Where were you?

greetings folks, plain English translated subtitles have now been added to the video, just turn them on via youtube if you were struggling with my accent or dialect
Haha I don't hear the native tongue too often so was surprised by it! 14 miles south though :D Have to say I'm not missing the sleet or snow!

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Bloody hell that was lucky! Where were you?

Haha I don't hear the native tongue too often so was surprised by it! 14 miles south though :D Have to say I'm not missing the sleet or snow!
i was about 100km south of the Canadian border in upstate New York, 20 km paddle to the nearest road and the nearest town from there was 25km away but i had no vehicle except the canoe, no cell signal and no one expecting me back to my drop off point for another week, very lucky

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I find it odd the negative reaction that happens whenever Leave No Trace principles are brought up, then I see something like this happen and cannot understand why LNT is not more important.

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I find it odd the negative reaction that happens whenever Leave No Trace principles are brought up, then I see something like this happen and cannot understand why LNT is not more important.
I try to always go further than leave no trace, we started coining the phrase

BTYFI

Better than you found it

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I think the problem with that as a concept is the better is a relative statement. LNT does include removing MOOP (matter out of place) but does not include making something better. As an example one person might think that a well constructed fire ring is leaving a place better however it may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Definitely very easy to be turned to ones own interpretation, i'm sure you know we mean as nature intended it to be, like if i turn up to an area to camp and it is littered with beer cans and debris the first thing we do is clean up, who wants to camp in that mess? Then when we leave if we just leave that junk people might think it was us, so we clean up when we leave too.

I used to work in music festivals all through my teens and twenties on sound crew and set up and pull down crew so i could get in free with my vip staff pass, i was one of those lines of people you see at the very end taking one step at a time looking at the ground as if they were hunting magic mushrooms, we used to do places that had a 500 bucks fine for every single item left behind, so the inspectors would be waiting for us to sign off and say we have cleaned up and they would go and check clip board and pen at the ready, literally just one cig butt was a 500 bucks fine to the organisers, we learnt to clean up nature good, i apply this same ethos when i leave an area i have been in nature, over here in UK we are far too many people squeezed on far too small a landmass, gets messy quick if we don't take personal action, no good waiting the authorities to clean it, just isn't happening sadly

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
In Australia we call that an Emu Parade. Spent more than my fair share of time doing them at one point in my life but instead of the fine we had to do PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I know you posted some time ago, but crikey! Thank goodness you were OK...

Mmm... Ray Mears he's the guy in England who teaches people how to camp in their backyards, right?:_risata:

His review on the perfect camping axe was also flawed, from my experience. The 3/4 axe is as small as I will go in a 'substantial' wood processing application, as I'm not looking for a trip to the morgue, either. Just my opinion of course:_sii:

Last edited: