Hudson Bay Tobacco tin

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
while talking to viceroybook books about how good his flint and magnifying glasses were he mentioned he had a Hudson Bay Tobacco tin that had been returned to him from a customer because it had scratches on it, and he was willing to send it to me for free (that is a $55+postage item) well to say I was blown away is a understatement.
It turned up today and I have to say that customer must have been pretty picky as while the tin does have some 'personality' it is still perfectly serviceable and will give many years of service.
The thing that is actually important, the magnifying glass is perfect, so it is all good.

Just going to get a flint and steel (going to buy a traditional looking steel this time for this kit from vicerorybooks to go with this kit) now to fit in the tin.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have actually decided this is going purely for char cloth storage only, and combine this tin with my 1700 tinder tin into a traditional fire kit (all housed in a nice leather possibles bag). I have done a video on the tin, just uploading it now and will post shortly.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
and my overview

With all due respect, when listening to this video, I get the distinct feeling that you have not been paying any attention to my comments of preparing tinders. A tin with a hole in it??? You already have a tinderbox!
I am feeling very discouraged mate, really!
Regards, Keith.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah I do feel a bit stupid now, as I rewatched your video on the tinderbox last night and realized what I had post here. I won't be doing that and know exactly what to do with the tinder box because of your video, and getting ANOTHER tin if I want to produce char cloth (a cheap one that I don't care about). Thanks for educating me mate.(y)

I make no apologies about loving char cloth, I know you don't necessary advocate the reliance on char cloth but I love it.