Howdy. New Bushcrafter from Ballarat Victoria

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Bushcrafters,
So happy to stumble across this forum during some internet research.
Bit about myself - Born in the city of Melbourne, I now live in the regional town of Ballarat Victoria. I am 33 years old, husband and a proud father of 2 young boys, (4 and 6YO).
My Dad is into hunting, and fishing, So i spent my childhood camping out in the forest with my Dad in various state forests and locations throughout the state.
I have been with my wife for 15 years, and she was born in Ballarat on a large property, after a few years of being together, We decided to purchase our first property and we bought a 5 acre bush block that we owned for 10 years. This block of land had no electricity and we built a little off grid single room cabin. My time spent on this block of land is what started my interest in bush knowledge.

Living in Ballarat i am lucky enough to have the forest very close to home, I find all of my interests seem to related to the forest, so i seem to be out there quite often.
My hobbys at the moment are Mountain Bike Riding, Bow Hunting, Fishing ad Prospecting.
I have have a keen interest in Outdoor Gear and equipment (I probably spend way more money then i should).
I study wild edibles and quite often take wild plants for my everyday diet. We are trying to be somewhat self sufficient, we own Chooks, and Quails (for both meat and eggs) I breed Rabbits also. I grow a large amount of food in our garden and also harvest meat through hunting and fishing.
I have just purchased some timber carving knives but i am still very new to carving.
I love to take on new projects to better my skills, and believe that learning never stops.

I haven't done a lot of solo camping, but lately it has been an interest of mine, So i am aiming to get a few solo camping trips done this year.

I love to share knowledge with like minded people, and my thirst for knowledge means i sometimes ask a LOT of questions...... so sorry in advance hahaha

Hope to talk to all in due time.

Markie D

"In the forest there are no rewards nor punishments. There are only consequences"

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have a small block too. I've been forced to work on it and an old house lately (although it was renovated 2 years ago). I'm enjoying it. I see it as an opportunity to use an axe instead of a chainsaw. It's always in the back of my mind, like many others, that one day we may have to fall back on these things and the skills that go with them. I've been learning a fair bit actually, or putting all the theory I've learned into practice. Even simple prusik knots for suspending electrical lead temporarily over a driveway - awesome. I put the usefulness of that knot up there with the truckies hitch.

Welcome

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a small block too. I've been forced to work on it and an old house lately (although it was renovated 2 years ago). I'm enjoying it. I see it as an opportunity to use an axe instead of a chainsaw. It's always in the back of my mind, like many others, that one day we may have to fall back on these things and the skills that go with them. I've been learning a fair bit actually, or putting all the theory I've learned into practice. Even simple prusik knots for suspending electrical lead temporarily over a driveway - awesome. I put the usefulness of that knot up there with the truckies hitch.

Welcome
Yeah i love the country life...., Every thing seems a lot more simple.
Yeah i agree, I think knowledge and skills are very important.
Those skills are alot better then the skills taught to the kids of today. My son can tell you everything about how to use an ipad, as they teach it at school, But yet he struggles to tie his shoe laces..... I think society may have it priorities a little backwards atm. Hahaha.
Thank god my sons get exposed to these things, But unfortunately not all kids are as lucky.