Howdy from Tassie

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
G'day all. It's great to find an Australian bushcraft site! I've been reading for a few days now but just became an activated member so I thought I should introduce myself...

I'm an American expat now happily calling Australia home. I live in beautiful Tasmania, in a cabin half way up a mountain right on the edge of World Heritage Area forested wilderness. I've been passionate about bushcraft since I was a child and am very interested in self-sufficiency, sustainable living, and the hand-crafted lifestyle. I'm also interested in primitive lifeways, experimental archaeology, and historical arts & handicrafts. For me, living in harmony with my environment and being in touch with Nature's power and rhythms is something sublimely spiritual.

I'm also a bit of an old grumpy anti-consumerist anti-materialist curmudgeon. ;) I'm looking forward to getting to know folks here and sharing in an bushcraft community that seems significantly less filled with the paranoid survivalism, religious proselytising, and handgun fetishism that seems to characterize some other bushcraft sites. So far this looks like a great place and I'm proud to be a part of it. Thanks for having me!

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
G'day mate, welcome to the tribe... Jump in and share your thoughts... check out the groups too, you may find something you like there also... as for the paranoids, we have some but as we have an unofficial rule about not talking about politics or religion you will be at home here I'm sure... we're pretty open minded here so it's all good...

Last edited:

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum TasMonk - it's great to see another member from Tasmania!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm an American expat now happily calling Australia home. I live in beautiful Tasmania, in a cabin half way up a mountain right on the edge of World Heritage Area forested wilderness. I've been passionate about bushcraft since I was a child and am very interested in self-sufficiency, sustainable living, and the hand-crafted lifestyle. I'm also interested in primitive lifeways, experimental archaeology, and historical arts & handicrafts. For me, living in harmony with my environment and being in touch with Nature's power and rhythms is something sublimely spiritual.

I'm also a bit of an old grumpy anti-consumerist anti-materialist curmudgeon. ;) I'm looking forward to getting to know folks here and sharing in an bushcraft community that seems significantly less filled with the paranoid survivalism, religious proselytising, and handgun fetishism that seems to characterize some other bushcraft sites. So far this looks like a great place and I'm proud to be a part of it. Thanks for having me!
Welcome to the mob TasMonk I look forward to seeing more from you and what you do... for many of us sitting in offices in cities we can only dream about the lifestyle you are living. I myself have avoided bushcraft forums in the past for the very reasons you stated above.

Don't get me wrong I like survivalism (without the fear and paranoia), I respect peoples religions (though I am not so inclined myself... except for "The Shed" which is a real religion of potential! ;) ), I don't get the handgun thing at all :confused: (I will live to regret that when the zombies come.... a risk I am willing to take :eek: )..., but I do hope for sure that we keep this forum as a bushcraft oriented site.... ie skills and knowledge based on wilderness activities, and leave all the other stuff at the other places where it fits better... or the pub thread where there is already some top discussion on aliens and giant pussy cats, exactly as it should be in a pub !!!

Anyhow enough of me ranting on suffice to say, yes we have a nice little site going lets keep it that way! :D

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
G'Day mate and has been said already "Pull a log up to the fire and let's talk"

I disagree with Corin on zombies, they do exist; but happily here in Australia they are usually restricted to Canberra and only come out at election time. Yes I may convert to "Sheddism" sooner rather than later

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm starting to feel at home already. ;)

@Templar: I've already found a couple groups I'm interested in, and so far the paranoids are proving to be FAR fewer than in some other bushcrafty places I'm familiar with. I can take the occasional one, but when they start moving in self-congratulatory herds... ugh! *shudder*

@Corin: I'm not yet living my hermit-in-the-woods ideal; I still have to go into the city to work 3-4 days a week to keep the bills paid and provide for my wife and myself, but it is wonderful to be able to live out on the fringe close to wild nature. And it sounds like you and I share some very similar perspectives- rant away!

@J.K.M.: It's great to see another Tassie bushcrafter! I'll try to send you a private message so we can exchange a bit more info.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree with Corin on zombies, they do exist; but happily here in Australia they are usually restricted to Canberra and only come out at election time. Yes I may convert to "Sheddism" sooner rather than later

Oh Sorry! I stand corrected!