How long are your ridge lines?

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I'm working on setting up my new tarp as a bedroll and I'm thinking of leaving the ridgelines wrapped up in it, so when it unrolls it's easy to deploy.

Currently my ropes aren't specific lengths. I had a single rope last time I went camping (I stopped using the crappy rope I had used previously) and cut it to the length to span the trees I chose, and then cut a few shorter bits for tying off the corners. I didn't measure any of those at the time.
Because the trees were really far apart my main ridge line is really long (too long).

I think I'm better off choosing a shorter length (because shorter ropes are easier to deal with when tying knots) and have extra rope I can use to extend them if needed.
A specific length that I know would be best so I can pace out trees and know whether my rope will reach.

Has anyone chosen a specific length for any specific reason? Or just chosen a length arbitrarily?

Edit:

I've chosen to use full ridge lines which go from tree to tree, rather than simply tying the eyelets to the trees directly. The eyelets are tied to the ridge line with short pieces and tension knots, so it's easy to adjust. I'll be leaving those tied up when I roll up the bedroll, for quicker deployment.
I believe having a full ridge line puts a little bit less stress on the tarp eyelets, plus I like being able to hang stuff from the ridge lines under the tarp.
It's not the simplest setup but it's robust and flexible.

Edit again:

Reading some forums online it seems that somewhere around 10m or 30ft is fairly common. I'll probably measure out 2x10m sections of rope for 2 ridge lines, and maybe have a couple of extra 5m pieces with me in case I need to extend it. Also if I snap a ridge line I can connect the two 5m sections together to make another one.
I need to experiment with it a little bit.

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi lifecraft, my tarps are 3m long with 2m of ridgeline tied to each end, so I guess 5m total.
If you find any water running down the line that runs underneath the tarp, you could tie drip lines to each end.
My tarps are silnylon, which stretches in wet cold weather, so it's fairly elastic in terms of wind gusts. I know your new tarp is canvas which I'm sure will be fine, even if you choose not to run the line underneath.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
My (continuous) ridgelines are 10m on 3 - 3.5m tarps. Why? Well primarily because I bought them that way but before that the DIY ones were about the same as well because it just seems to be a good length that works.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
My (continuous) ridgelines are 10m on 3 - 3.5m tarps. Why? Well primarily because I bought them that way but before that the DIY ones were about the same as well because it just seems to be a good length that works.
Yep 10 metres for me as well.

Ticklebellly

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
About 10 metres of 2.5 mm Zing It for me. That length takes care of the variable situation in site to site. Essentially, I put up the ridge line first, tight, then tarp over (I mostly hammock camp) and Prussic knot short length of Spectra to the ridge line to keep the tarp in place.

TB