Horse trek.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
This sounds awesome but, pardon my ignorance, I have a few questions about what you are doing.
Will you be following stock routes or just generally bush bashing? I am pretty sure in WA you aren't allowed horses in National Parks. Is that the same over east?
I know where you are coming from re: really dumb laws. Unfortunately though, you would probably want to avoid run ins with rangers, cops etc. Why make it tougher on yourself than the already Spartan life you are choosing.
I would think bush bulldozers would be pretty tough meat, especially if they are still wrapped in the last Hyundai Getz that took a swipe at them.
Will you be carrying a rifle or other means of procuring meat while you travel?
How do you propose to supplement this? I imagine there's only so much Warrigal Greens you can eat.
How do you plan to cook it? I didn't see a pot or otherwise in your kit there.
Will you be trapping, fishing etc. Again, I didn't notice anything to help you there.
You plan on posting pix etc, which I laud and can't wait to see, but how will you keep stuff charged, post up etc.
I didn't see any saddlebags etc for you to carry provisions in. As Le Loup said, I would be carrying dry provisions to tide you over the lean times. Wildlife isn't as readily available as it was, farmers might get shirty if you take a lamb, etc.
What are you doing about water for both yourself and your horses?
Are you carrying hobbles or planning to either yard or keep your horses tied up at night. The buggers can wander pretty far.
Blankets and sheepskins only go so far. What do you plan to wear etc once the clothes on your back fall to pieces. I've gone a fortnight in the same clothes out bush and, apart from being able to stand up in the corner by themselves, they were already showing wear. I'm not the most experienced leatherworker and I have never cured a hide but I would imagine it would take some considerable time to tan leather, cut out and make clothes etc. Have you ever done this before?
I rode a horse from Port Hedland to Marble Bar over 10 days. Sweat, rubbing, horse lather, etc took it's toll on pretty much everything in just that short a time. Four to five years in the saddle would be a pretty significant time frame.
Wouldn't horses bound for the knackery be either long in the tooth, possibly ill or be coming with their own sets of issues.
I sound like a nay-sayer here. To be honest, if you can pull this off, I will be your number one fan. It will be an epic trip. It just seems to me to be a lot of planning, preparing and problems to overcome.
All power to you. I wish you every success. This is just things thzt popped intk my head as i was reading this.
Cheers
Bloffy

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
This sounds awesome but, pardon my ignorance, I have a few questions about what you are doing.
Will you be following stock routes or just generally bush bashing? I am pretty sure in WA you aren't allowed horses in National Parks. Is that the same over east?
I know where you are coming from re: really dumb laws. Unfortunately though, you would probably want to avoid run ins with rangers, cops etc. Why make it tougher on yourself than the already Spartan life you are choosing.
I would think bush bulldozers would be pretty tough meat, especially if they are still wrapped in the last Hyundai Getz that took a swipe at them.
Will you be carrying a rifle or other means of procuring meat while you travel?
How do you propose to supplement this? I imagine there's only so much Warrigal Greens you can eat.
How do you plan to cook it? I didn't see a pot or otherwise in your kit there.
Will you be trapping, fishing etc. Again, I didn't notice anything to help you there.
You plan on posting pix etc, which I laud and can't wait to see, but how will you keep stuff charged, post up etc.
I didn't see any saddlebags etc for you to carry provisions in. As Le Loup said, I would be carrying dry provisions to tide you over the lean times. Wildlife isn't as readily available as it was, farmers might get shirty if you take a lamb, etc.
What are you doing about water for both yourself and your horses?
Are you carrying hobbles or planning to either yard or keep your horses tied up at night. The buggers can wander pretty far.
Blankets and sheepskins only go so far. What do you plan to wear etc once the clothes on your back fall to pieces. I've gone a fortnight in the same clothes out bush and, apart from being able to stand up in the corner by themselves, they were already showing wear. I'm not the most experienced leatherworker and I have never cured a hide but I would imagine it would take some considerable time to tan leather, cut out and make clothes etc. Have you ever done this before?
I rode a horse from Port Hedland to Marble Bar over 10 days. Sweat, rubbing, horse lather, etc took it's toll on pretty much everything in just that short a time. Four to five years in the saddle would be a pretty significant time frame.
Wouldn't horses bound for the knackery be either long in the tooth, possibly ill or be coming with their own sets of issues.
I sound like a nay-sayer here. To be honest, if you can pull this off, I will be your number one fan. It will be an epic trip. It just seems to me to be a lot of planning, preparing and problems to overcome.
All power to you. I wish you every success. This is just things thzt popped intk my head as i was reading this.
Cheers
Bloffy
Hi Bloffy thanks for all the questions I will try to answer all of them over several posts. The photo I posted of my saddle set up is only about 2/3 packed plus I will have a dedicated pack horse carrying about 50kgs of gear. It’s legal to ride camp in the snowy mountains so that’s not a problem I can wave at the rangers as I ride past. More than just wombats end up as road kill deer for instance. The fishing is pretty good down there so I definitely will be eating my fair share of trout. I have deliberately been drinking unsterilised water for about the last 10 years dams, puddles, creeks I would have to drink something really bad to make me sick. Most of the time I will be wearing very little in the way of clothes or footwear. I won’t be tanning any skins out bush I will just use it as greenhide/rawhide. I still have a million and one things to do before I go and several short trips to check everything. I have to a certain extent done this sort of thing before without horses. So I have a pretty good idea what to expect. At any point in time I will be able to say I have had enough turn the horses loose and walk out. That’s why I’m only taking brumbies from that area so if I do cut them loose they will be ok. I will be hobbling them. Interesting thing about hobbles is horse can learn to canter in them 😁. Cheers Peter

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Ok so a little bit on pants, trousers, shorts. When I’m fair dinkum in the bush I don’t wear them, & definitely wouldn’t take any with me. They are dead weight that aren’t very practical out bush. I fold up a wooden blanket into a pair of pants that way I can unfold them of a night and use it as a blanket. Heaps more comfortable than pants a lot easier to wash than pants and a lot more versatile than pants. If anyone really needs to see a blanket worn as pants I will post a pic but it’s probably better left to everyone’s imagination it ain’t pretty

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Looks pretty good. Great articulation at the knees too. That's where you judge outdoor pants vs pseudo outdoor pants.

Kindliing

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome idea peter you've got going here.
Interested to hear about it yes.
I'm not sure how much your set on all your own handmade gear .
One item I would personally suggest if you can get hold of is one of the old australian army Vietnam war era mosquito sleeping bag liners ,and even the old thin woolen blanket that clips to it .
Mine is from mid 60's to 1971.
Its definitely stood the test of time , and a "creature" comfort.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome idea peter you've got going here.
Interested to hear about it yes.
I'm not sure how much your set on all your own handmade gear .
One item I would personally suggest if you can get hold of is one of the old australian army Vietnam war era mosquito sleeping bag liners ,and even the old thin woolen blanket that clips to it .
Mine is from mid 60's to 1971.
Its definitely stood the test of time , and a "creature" comfort.
Hi kindling you just reminded me that I have some wool sleeping bags stashed in a cave up the Blue Mountains. I will have to get up there when the fires settle down Cheers Peter

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I’m going to start doing some over night trips ( not with all the gear I will be taking or the horses that I will actually be taking) just more getting myself into the zone. As time goes by I will be making / modifying more of the equipment that I will be taking. The other thing is this is at 700m in December not 1400m in July. With that being said I will be heading off tomorrow for the night with one horse. I will build a bit of a bush shelter that I can crawl under but it’s not going to be anything to flash as my coat is my main source of protection against the elements not the shelter. Anyway I will try to get a few pictures. Cheers Peter