Horse trek.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
This double sheepskin will be the key component to my kit. It will be the top layer to my saddle & also the main part of my bedding of a night. Where I will be it will be hot enough to swim in summer and cold enough to cross country ski in winter.

Attachments

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
This double sheepskin will be the key component to my kit. It will be the top layer to my saddle & also the main part of my bedding of a night. Where I will be it will be hot enough to swim in summer and cold enough to cross country ski in winter.
I had a close friend who carried two sheepskins when travelling on water. He had backed them both with a heavy canvas.
Keith.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yes Keith that’s what I’m doing for durability. Then I can also wear it like a short but extra warm poncho. I reckon it’s all about taking things that can be used in several ways

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Which brings me to my first fork in the road. I have a full length American beaver pelt coat if I cut it up I could make a really good blanket out of it and be easier to transport around on the horse. It’s just hard to destroy a coat like that.

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I always assumed that is to prevent people from "creating" road kill for the purpose of butchering. I think you could make a pretty good argument if you're riding a horse :D
Not sure about that, but all native fauna are protected, with the exception of dingos and a couple of local cases. I'm not saying don't do it, I think it's a waste to leave roadkill there if you've got a use for it. Just don't want anyone to have any legal issues that could be avoided.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yeah definitely there are 10 million different rules that we are supposed to follow. Hunting knives in a National Park for 1. I’m not 100% normal, and consequently I’m guided by my own moral compass not by some law that a politician dreamed up to get some more votes.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
When I say not 100% normal that doesn’t mean serial killer I have been in the bush with people from this forum and they all survived 😁

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
As far as a bridle, & bit goes. I have decided not use one. Most bits have moving parts that wear, and bridles wear/break. I’m thinking of just using a rawhide thong tied around the lower jaw. I can replace it extremely easily out of some road kill hide. I can then hook a greenhide rope to it. The first part of it can be my rein then the rest of it can be coiled and tied to my Surcingle.

Rubbing Elbows

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I’m planning on doing some long term horse trekking. The key word is term not distance from start to finish ( A to B) because I have no destination in mind (that way I can’t get lost 😁). At a guess I reckon I will be out there for about 4 or 5 years give or take. I’m going to make all my own gear/ saddlery. I won’t be taking any food or water with me. Anyway I’m thinking that if there was any interest i could upload some photos as I make things & any general thoughts/ ramblings on the trek. I’m basically a leather & wool guy there definitely won’t be any modern tarps, tents, sleepingbags, or clothing used. Cheers Peter
This sounds like a great adventure and would be interested to follow your journey on here. Which State/region are you going to be trekking in.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yes it’s a pretty cool place. I have a lot of gear making and testing before I actually go. But I will be doing several short treks while I’m fine tuning everything. Also some of that testing will be done on horses that I won’t be taking on the trek. I have to get the brumbies and break them before I go. At some stage I’m going to have to replace most my clothing with road kill if I’m not extremely careful with what I take. I won’t be able to go to a shop to purchase anything so I have to be pretty sure of the gear I’m taking

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
This is what -15 degrees looks like without snow. Which is why I’m going to be somewhat anal about my clothing/bedding
Where are you from? I'm guessing you mean Fahrenheit :ROFLMAO:. Yes, it can get pretty cold up high. We still get snow in places here in tassie.