Horse trek.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I’m planning on doing some long term horse trekking. The key word is term not distance from start to finish ( A to B) because I have no destination in mind (that way I can’t get lost 😁). At a guess I reckon I will be out there for about 4 or 5 years give or take. I’m going to make all my own gear/ saddlery. I won’t be taking any food or water with me. Anyway I’m thinking that if there was any interest i could upload some photos as I make things & any general thoughts/ ramblings on the trek. I’m basically a leather & wool guy there definitely won’t be any modern tarps, tents, sleepingbags, or clothing used. Cheers Peter

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I’m planning on doing some long term horse trekking. The key word is term not distance from start to finish ( A to B) because I have no destination in mind (that way I can’t get lost 😁). At a guess I reckon I will be out there for about 4 or 5 years give or take. I’m going to make all my own gear/ saddlery. I won’t be taking any food or water with me. Anyway I’m thinking that if there was any interest i could upload some photos as I make things & any general thoughts/ ramblings on the trek. I’m basically a leather & wool guy there definitely won’t be any modern tarps, tents, sleepingbags, or clothing used. Cheers Peter
This sounds like an historical trek/journey Peter, are you a living historian? This is the sort of travel/camping I do, my period is mid 18th century. When you say no modern tarps, tents etc, what period are you looking at?
Yes Peter, I am interested in hearing/seeing more of your post. If I can be of any assistance in gear selection for sustainability & self-reliance just ask.
Regards, Keith.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi Keith I know of you. In my book you are the flint & steel fire starting God 👍👍. I guess the oldest piece of equipment I will be using/ making dates at about 300 AD the youngest piece of equipment I will be using is metal rings and canvas. Cheers Peter

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi Keith I know of you. In my book you are the flint & steel fire starting God 👍👍. I guess the oldest piece of equipment I will be using/ making dates at about 300 AD the youngest piece of equipment I will be using is metal rings and canvas. Cheers Peter
Thank you for your comment Peter, very much appreciated.
Keith.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I think I should add. The horses I will be using are coming straight from the RNP kill pens. If I wasn’t taking them, they would be going straight to the knackery. I’m not removing them from one sort of environment and placing them in another. I’m just breaking them training them and then taking them back to their home. Where I will cruise about on them.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I think I should add. The horses I will be using are coming straight from the RNP kill pens. If I wasn’t taking them, they would be going straight to the knackery. I’m not removing them from one sort of environment and placing them in another. I’m just breaking them training them and then taking them back to their home. Where I will cruise about on them.
That is what I did Peter, but be careful of any bad habits they may have, such as cow-kicking, pig rooting, bucking & treeing. I had three horses, Rubin, Danny & Sadut. Each one had one of these bad habits!
In my younger days in the Territory.
Keith.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
That’s a great photo Keith. I’ve ridden my fair share of horses with some pepper in them 😁.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Basically the saddle I build is going to double as my bed, & shelter. Because I won’t be using stirrups the saddle won’t need a tree just enough support to spread my weight and keep me off the horse’s backbone. The other advantage of not having a tree is that as the horse changes shape the saddle will still fit. Which brings me to wet saddle blankets & saddle sores. The plan is to have two blankets that I rotate from using on the horse then using it as my bedding of a night to sleep it dry before I put it back on the horse. This means I will be sleeping in horse sweat so I’m probably going to develop a funky sort of smell pretty quickly 😁

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
With that in mind I have been experimenting. Note it’s early days and the final result will be a lot more substantial than this. I got a hessian bag and stuffed two tubes that sowed into it with wool. All things considered it’s working pretty good.

Attachments

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Now I realise that most everybody here knows how to go bush long term without any food and live quite comfortably. But for the few that don’t know how to do it. This is the method that I have found that actually enables you to go bush and increase muscle mass, loose body fat, and basically become extremely fit and healthy. Ok first things first forget about all the bush tucker survival crap YOU WILL STARVE!!! I can’t stress this enough. 99.9 % of these bush tucker survival experts would be dead within the first 3 months if they tried to live of various eatable plants they found in the bush. This is how you do it. Pick your spot in the bush near a sign like this. Get up early every morning and walk the edge of the road. Bush craft/survival skill level zero. BUT YOU WONT STARVE

Attachments

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Now I realise that most everybody here knows how to go bush long term without any food and live quite comfortably. But for the few that don’t know how to do it. This is the method that I have found that actually enables you to go bush and increase muscle mass, loose body fat, and basically become extremely fit and healthy. Ok first things first forget about all the bush tucker survival crap YOU WILL STARVE!!! I can’t stress this enough. 99.9 % of these bush tucker survival experts would be dead within the first 3 months if they tried to live of various eatable plants they found in the bush. This is how you do it. Pick your spot in the bush near a sign like this. Get up early every morning and walk the edge of the road. Bush craft/survival skill level zero. BUT YOU WONT STARVE
:love: Actually I always carry dried foods with me, they are light. I always carry some food that does not require cooking, just in case I do not want to light a fire which will give my position away.
Keith.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yes Keith the first thing I usually do is salt some meat and hang it on barb wire to dry.

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Just a quick note in case anyone is unaware of this, but collecting roadkill of native species is illegal. I'm not saying don't do it, but there could be issues with doing this.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
You are just moving them off the side of the road so they are no longer a hazard to traffic 😉

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Setting up a long term base camp one of the most useful things you can have is a few sheets of corrugated iron. I know it’s not real bush crafty but it’s a concession to some creature comfort that I reckon I’m entitled to in my later years .... and a good chunk of meat to eat 😁

Attachments

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Just a quick note in case anyone is unaware of this, but collecting roadkill of native species is illegal. I'm not saying don't do it, but there could be issues with doing this.
I always assumed that is to prevent people from "creating" road kill for the purpose of butchering. I think you could make a pretty good argument if you're riding a horse :D